Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the title We're in the Mountains--Not over the Hill! I ordered it yesterday. I wish I could backpack but I hurt my neck when I was a kid and just a small book type backpack gives me trouble. For years I tried to get my mom and mother-in-law to stop thinking "old" to no avail I'm afraid. It's older not old. I have a folder of stories of people some well past 80 who are still vital and having fun. I want to be like them!! Have you heard of the books by George Ostrom. They are mainly set in Glacier and our about his travels and hikes with his Thursday hiking group called The Over-the-Hill Gang. Most are over 65. Beautiful photos and text. On one hike one of the gang actually died. The comment was "We all felt a tremendous loss, but agreed there couldn't be a better way to go. A peaceful death, among friends in a beautiful place."

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hike and meet up with seniors ALL the time, they are wonderful. Gosh I think I'm almost there. Yep, old is a state of mind. I'll have to check out the "We're in the Mountains".

Two more weeks and I'll be back up in Denali, our annual "Berry picking with shotguns trip" . Two weeks of blueberries, labs, ptarmigan, grouse and the wilderness. I can't tell you how that trip recharges me!
We call it our marital bonding trip, it puts us on the same wavelength, I just love it........ jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, you rock. What does it feel like to be a published author? You can definately cross that one off your list, what an accomplishment! How did you go about getting your children's book published? Did you just find publishing companies online and present your book? I'm very curious and would love to do something like that.
Jo, it is so important to connect on that level so you rock too!
JoAnn, what a neat story. When I think about death it seems so magical to share that with someone. It can be looked at as the end to another beginning and to be able to share that space when you are the most vulnerable that you will ever be in life, is so special. Thanks for sharing. What a neat group of women. Thanks everyone. Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Traci! It's funny because writing (publishing) has been a lifelong dream, but I can't say it's been fulfilled - I just want to write more. Especially for kids. My children's book was actually published when I was a senior in high school as part of a national contest, so I just lucked out. It's a lot tougher now, as an adult, to try and find publishers. The key is to really research and match your writing with a suitable publisher - I don't even look at the big names, I just stick to the smaller independent houses. I track down their websites & email them a query/proposal with my fingers crossed! I'd love to illustrate my books, too. Someday...!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo- That berrying trip sounds great! Someday I am going to have to come up to Alaska and see some of your "backyard" :D

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
outbound

25 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LindaEllen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen I just got your book (A Mile In Her Boots) yesterday , Oh am I going to like this read : ). Got my cup of coffee and the door open here by the pc, its a bit chilli but I like. Perfect for reading. Then later in the Outpost for more reading of those women that cut the mustard out in the wilderness. I love your introduction and that little tiny acorn, just perfect.

I think a lot of women can relate to your book and stories even if they have never been in the woods.

I'll be getting your other book too : ) Great job.

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  4:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, Linda Ellen, thank you soooo much!!!! Hope you enjoy

Jen

Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
outbound

25 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  8:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit LindaEllen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jen I am so enjoying your book. I have shared about it on my blogs. Its kinda cool and scary at the same time spending my weekends out in my Outpost , sometimes by myself and read the stories in your book. The night I was alone I read about the bad mountain men and the headless bear. Some of these stories crack me up and others make me keep a sharp look out when these woods get dark and quiet.

Each story is unique from women who are smart and love what they do. Even if things don't always go as planned.

Got MJ's Outpost book too , great pictures and write up on you and your girls making a lean-to and tea party. They are darling.

tc linda Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's sooo fun to think I'm "keeping you company" in your Outpost, Linda. Well, me and a bunch of other AWESOME women. They are true adventurers, aren't they? Lock your Outpost door & stay cozy. I'm loving this breath of fall air, aren't you?

Jen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000