Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Wild Edibles
 What do you forage for in your area?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Wild Edibles: Previous Topic What do you forage for in your area? Next Topic
Page: of 2

GaiasRose
outthinking

7 Posts

Tasha-Rose
Minnesota
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  5:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have so many things that grow abundantly right here in our 12 acres that there is really no reason to go outside of it, though occassionally we do for things like rose hips and filberts and bee balm (though I do grow bee balm as well.)

I was talking with Georgann on the phone today and I was telling her about the wild raspberries and blueberries and leeks and beach peas...however, there is so much more that I have yet to discover around here.

One of my favorite things to forage are dandelions and their roots. they are so good for you!! They are particularly tasty in a salad with the greens and heads!

We get the mother load of Mullein and plantain around here too (also particularly healthy for you inside and outside!) Anyone care for a shipment of Mullein stalks to seed your area come mid Summertime?

So what do you like to forage for? What is a dominate weed in your area that you tend to use?

MustangSuzie
outbound

10 Posts

Sarah
Missouri
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit MustangSuzie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tasha! Glad ya made it! I recently picked up a book on Missouri wild edibles. It's fun looking through the yard to see what is there. The yard is just now starting to green up but so far I've found plantain, dandelion of course and either wild onion or garlic. i always thought they were wild onions but they sure smell like garlic to me. I didn't know you could eat mayapple fruits, those grow so abundantly in the woods here. There is a recipe for a pie and jelly in that book, I think I'll try those. With this warm weather and rain it will be time for mushroom season soon. mmmm Gotta love morels.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
outthinking

7 Posts

Tasha-Rose
Minnesota
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  06:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll hunt for the mushrooms, but there is not a shot you will get me to eat them. ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  07:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still honeymooning with my 25 acres (we bought the place last month) - exploring every inch, and like Tasha said, I have no reason to stray. Spring signs are budding everywhere, and with a couple of creeks here, I'm wondering if we'll find morels. Hope so! I was just getting ready to order a book on wild edibles & am debating the Peterson guide - think I might want something more local though. In WA we were all about huckleberries - the best berry in the world!! Supposedly, there are a couple of eastern varieties, but I've yet to find them. Right now, we're going for broke on our garden, blueberries, mulberries, apples, pears, and paw paws (the biggest native fruit in N America - tastes like banana, I hear).

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
outbound

10 Posts

Sarah
Missouri
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit MustangSuzie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The book that I have about Missouri wild edibles was put out by the Dept of Conservation. You may try that for your state.

lol Tasha!! But morels are so yummy!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  07:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I LOVE morels too (love finding them about as much as eating them). I figured your book was the MDC guide, Tasha. I bet it would be good for us down here too. Thanks! I tell you, MDC is the standard by which other state cons. agencies should be judged. Overall, they do great work.

The View From My Boots

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried mayapple fruit? Mayapples are popping up thru the leaf litter here, and I rember hearing that they bear a little fruit that tastes lemony. I think I'll try 'em this year.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok - I just found this tidbit online. Maybe not so appetizing..."The flower develops into a pulpy, lemon-yellow berry which ripens in late summer and is the only part of the plant that isn't poisonous (however, the berries should only be eaten in moderation, if at all)." (http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/mayhist.html)

The View From My Boots

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  8:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have tons of rosehips around here. I have a crabapple tree in my front yard and I know a great spot along the river to pick raspberries. I don't know this area as well as where I grew up so I am still trying to discover all the hidden secrets. I will have to try and get a book through the state about wild edibles for this area. Also maybe the extension office will have some info.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we first moved here it was a great year for Oregon Grape berries. We or I should say my husband has made jam, syrup and put some in the wine he was making. Very tasty. Since my husband is a mycologist we can't wait for the morels to show up. Some were found in the Spokane area on March 28th. I think that tied for the earliest ever found in the Spokane area. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Clare
outbound

16 Posts

N..C. Washington
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoAnn, are you picking the wild Oregon grape berries that grow just about everywhere around here? They are a rich deep blue color on my property, but I've never considered eating them because I didn't know if they were poisinous (sp) or not.

I guess at the very least I could use them to dye something deep blue, or just continue to leave them for the birds to harvest.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clare, Not sure where you are but in Washinton it's the "wild" Oregon grape. Scientific name Mahonia some books still list it as Berberis. Natives used the inner bark and roots to make a yellow dye. The berries are very sour. It's a evergreen shrub with holly-like, spine tipped leaves. They are shiny green which turn to deep red in the autumn. It has clusters of bright yellow flowers that by late summer develop into dark blue berries(easy to pick unlike huckleberries) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of areas are good to look for the grapes?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray, Note that it is not a grape but a berry that looks like a grape. It's only found wild in the west. Here's a link to check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon-grape. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yippee! First morels of the season have been found on the property behind us. Still small so we'll give then another week. Start looking JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lucky you, JoAnn!!! My girls and I searched our property yesterday - lots of may apples but no morels. I think we'll set out for the Nat'l Forest this weekend. I know they're here somewhere!

One of the native fruits that the MO Wild Edibles book raves about is the persimmon. Anybody tried them? I did a few years ago & I guess it tasted pretty good, but the ratio of fruit to seeds isn't all that great. The book says, though, that you can dry & grind the seeds for caffeine-free coffee. Would like to try that. Obviously, the wild critters love persimmons, because you can find poop piles full of persimmon seeds in the fall!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Wild Edibles: Previous Topic What do you forage for in your area? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000