Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  2:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My people" (my husband) is in the process of building a sauna. I'm the extra pair of hands when needed. Have the framing for two walls and the wall between the dressing room and sauna up. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris is sawing down cedars in our little forest like a mad logger, mourning the tree deaths as he goes. But, he's trying to restore the native savanna/glade habitat we should have here. Now, we're just not sure what to do with all these downed trees. I've got some artistic plans in mind (the wood is gorgeous), and we're using some as fence posts, but there are TONS (literally), and we have no modern mechanical means of moving them. Chris says there are these hand-leverage rigs that you can use to pick up & drag individual logs....hmmmmm....

We're planning to burn our property here in the next month or so, and that'll take care of some of the slash & brush....I've gotta save some of those logs, though!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need to get my garden winterized and the weeds under control. I don't want to spend any money since I rent so I am going down to the recycling center to see what I can salvage. One of the local lumber companies gives away free pallests, so I think I am going to put down a bunch of newspaper, some cardboard boxes, more newspaper and raw stable mulch if I can get a horse friend to bring some in his truck, and then cover it all with boards ripped from some pallets to weigh it all down.

A company here in town burns wood chip/waste to produce heat and they have huge piles of it at a holding station just out of town. This morning was a "scrape the windows" frost and as I drove by the reserve piles of wood chips it was really need to see them steaming. Decompostion at work! :D Maybe having a bunch of mulch and such on the garden this winter will help keep the house warm. :D

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just mowed 3-foot tall jungle weeds off of a big spot beside the chicken house where I plan to put next year's garden. I can see it from the house, and I figure my climbing plants can use the chicken yard fence. I'm going to plant some daikon radish as a cover crop (recommended by MJ in her book) to break up the hard ground. Then, I'm going to try to find a bunch of stuff to pile on like you are, Elizaray. Good luck to us both!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are building a 24 x 24 shop at our cabin with an upstairs studio/guest room for my business. I'll see if I can attach a picture or a link. I love building with my dh, even though I've never done it before. Our cabin was the first thing he had built and he just had so much confidence it gave me confidence. Now I'm a believer - we CAN really build!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOps! Sorry - I didn't know the picture would be so BIG!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sherri- WOW! That looks fabulous!

The only construction project on the boards for me are some book shelves. We are in dire straights and I can't stomach paying for the cardboard junk they sell at big stores. Even the thrift stores around here want an arm and a leg!
Go to Top of Page

RuralFarmGirl
outbound

25 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sherri~ I love that, so beautiful.
I am working on some 4x4 raised bed frames, as well as a rose arbor (my hubby is helping with that), and last summer Matthew (my youngest and I started at tree house in this tree we have in the back yard. I have framed in the ground under the tree and am building a chicken coop out of some old barn wood. I will post a picture when I am done.

Sister-hood Coordinator for MaryJanesfarm
"Circumstances made us friends, MaryJanes made us Sisters"

www.farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - RuralFarmGirl on Feb 02 2009 09:01:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see that Rene!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
outbound

25 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit LindaEllen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking workshop mikesgirl. You'llhave to showus pic of the inside when your all set up : ).

I have been in the woods making debris huts and bannocks this winter. Pics are on my blog. I won't let cabin fever set in.

tc linda Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  04:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently working on my homework and getting a car wreck sorted out.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry about that Alee - but so grateful you weren't injured.
Go to Top of Page

heartinthemountains
outthinking

5 Posts

Terri

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit heartinthemountains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, I put a door in a frame(handbuilt), in my greenhouse, now I need 3 more and I am looking at it, like, Did I really do that?
Now to get busy....

Heartinthemountains....still.....
(under const.)
blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  6:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next project is going to be to move my green house, and to re-cover it as the plastic got a bit destroyed this past fall/winter. Some high winds showed me all the flaws in my construction. This time I am going to do better!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting so anxious for spring--what to finish the sauna, organize the outbuilding, thinking about doing a greenhouse. Of course there is always camping, hiking, going to our cabin, fishing etc. etc. etc. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 If I Had a Hammer: Previous Topic What are you working on? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000