Author Nature's Noise: Previous Topic night music Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spring peepers are welcoming me home! The night is alive & singing here. Can't wait for fireflies...

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The frogs are singing in/at, or by our pond. We have a natural pond, fed by a small creek and then over a man-made waterfall then under the pasture and above ground in the woods. Always some kind of noise. Love it all. Having a natural pond is great. It is host to so many creatures, the red-wing blackbird nest in the reeds, the violet-green Swallows, which by the way are back now, swoop over the water in the summer taking whatever insect is available, so many good insects and a ton of other birds. We don't have fireflies here. I have never seen them and I wish I could. MB Being outside is being

Edited by - marybeth on Mar 30 2007 4:58:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear MB,
No lightning bugs? I had one fly in my mouth last night lol
Ever been frog grabbing?

Did y'all build the waterfall?
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  3:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ellen, nope, no lightening bugs. My friends used to have ponds on their place. It was a big place and we used to catch huge frogs and have frog legs. I must say that was quite awhile ago.
The waterfall was built by the previous owner. I don't know exactly when. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  04:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MB, we have frog leg festivals here...you can get in free for kissing a frog lol
Wow so if ya don't have lightning bugs, do you have small phosphorescent fungi or alagae?

Was wondering about the waterfall cuz I've always wanted to build one by our pond. Tho we have no change of grade here, flat to reallyflat...so lots of work.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  04:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heard a whippoorwill last night! I grew up hearing their song on camping trips, but this is the first time I've heard it from my own front porch.
I missed the lightening bugs in WA, MB. Kept trying to tell the kids about them, but it's not the same as being surrounded by a magical, blinking cloud of them. Still haven't seen any here yet.
We did, however, have lots of elk around us in the Ellensburg outskirts. Loved to listen to the bulls bugle & the cows mew as we went to sleep last fall.
Every place certainly has its own beauties, doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  7:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love sitting outside in summer and hearing crickets call to each other.

Right now I live in town so all evening sounds around here are traffic, dogs and wind chimes.

I am really jealous of you ladies that have such great back yards that can host such a great host of creatures.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  6:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The spoils of deer season are inspiring joyous (if a bit haunting) coyote songs that echo through the night woods - yip yip yeowwwwww!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been missing the songs of the coyotes the past few weeks. The night is so quiet. They must have followed food sources elsewhere.

What are you listening to at night?

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  12:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The coyotes are back! My dogs heard them last night & started barking, so I woke up & heard them whooping it up not far from the house. I love them so; just hope they steer clear of my chickens during the day!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page
  Nature's Noise: Previous Topic night music Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000