Birdi
outthinking

5 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  5:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a subject of my thoughts which will be a necessary one to address for self-sustainability. Let me say firstly... I really am a slave to electricity. Well, I guess it comes down to refridgeration actually. This is probably one thing that I think all of us sort of take for granted. It is the ultimate convenience that I don't want to be without. BUT... I am preparing for the worse in case I ever had to. All rambling aside, here is how I am preparing.

So many of these choices are very expensive. I think the most economical for me is going to be a steam engine...with an inverter which will run the generator. I don't want to convert slave from elcetricity to gasoline. The engine/boiler can be made to run the generator if necessary. I am living my life very simply and enjoy the basic pleasures in life. If you think of all of the things that electricity runs, and try to find an alternative equal like in the days before we had elctricity...that is what I am doing. For instance, I love to sew ...I still want to be able to enjoy this...so I found a working treadle machine...no electricity. I have used my computer to download countless books and references and have even printed many of these to add to my already crowded library. And so on. I don't own a microwave, or a tv anymore.

I guess what I am doing is not really finding a solution to continue living life and self sustaining in this modern world...I am reverting my life back to another era. Did any of this make sense to you? lol

I am a retired member of the rat race. Not a slave to any creditors anywhere, a fact of which I am very proud. I have learned to create, build or grow everything that I need and most of what I want, so that I am basically not depending on the retail world for anything. I am not quite there but getting closer. I love life's simple pleasures.

~simple pleasures make my heart smile~

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Birdi, you make perfect sense. You lost me with the steam engine, inverter, generator bit but that's just me...my own last resort is a couple of antique ice boxes that will only work if you have access to ice! Not a great plan huh? I have a treadle sewing machine too and an awesome portable handpump that can draw water from a well up to 100 feet deep. Only catch is if I needed to use these things, I would be scratching my head and cussing, trying to figure out how to use them! I'll get there.

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  7:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birdi-

That is so ambitious! I really respect what you are doing. I was in our local natural supply store just the other day to buy a diaper cover for my baby and I saw some great solar power panels that were surprisingly small but could gather quite a large amount of energy.

I think if you plug those in then the electricity that they are generating goes back into the power grid and if you generate enough electricity- the power companies actually pay _you_. I am not quite sure how exactly that works.

Also if you live in a windy area you could also install some windmills and I know that you can hook up pumps to wind mills as well.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Windmills are such a great idea. Not sure if we have enough wind here, but that's something I'd like to experiment with. It's tough not to be a slave to electricity (esp with kids and coventional jobs to consider), but there sure is immense satisfaction in simplification. Please continue to educate us as you blaze the trail, Birdi.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  3:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make your own wind and solar power systems
Posted by Joseph Romm at 4:38 PM on 24 Aug 2007

So you want some do-it-yourself climate solutions. Popular Science is the place to go.

The magazine details how, for $300, you can build a vertical wind turbine for your home in about three days. It will generate 50 kilowatt-hours per month, which might be about 10 percent of your electricity use, depending on the size of your house and how efficient you are. You can also download plans at www.windstuffnow.com.

More ideas & photos at: http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/24/141650/573

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New solar option:
Citizenre REnU
http://renu.citizenre.com/index.php

Citizenre REnU technology takes the idea of solar power to a new and simpler level. Our revolutionary technology provides superior system-wide efficiency and control, and makes your overall electric service more responsive, more reliable, and more renewable!

The Citizenre REnU program is the first to give you the chance to adopt green energy in your home without having to make a huge investment. Our REnU program takes care of all the usual headaches and does it with the most attractive terms in the industry.

Edited by - Jen on Aug 28 2007 6:27:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid: Previous Topic Electricity Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000