Printer Friendly
Author If I Had a Hammer: Previous Topic Birdhouses Next Topic  

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My current project is a little birdhouse using recycled wood from around the ranch. I've been using the compound mitre saw I bought my boyfriend for Christmas and I love it, very easy to use. In fact, I think I'm getting more practice using it than he has! I made birdhouse #1 Saturday afternoon and got to the last part, hinging the front wall, so it opens for cleaning. Well, my design turned out to be a little flawed and my little door doesn't open all the way because of the way everything is angled. Hinges should have been on the other side of the door, but if I put them there, they'll have to be on the front instead of hidden on the side. Anyway, no worries, now I'll have two little birdhouses when I'm done! I'll try the second version this weekend and post a picture when I finish. Wish me luck!

P.S. Girls at MJF have inspired me to try incorporating some rusty barbed wire. We have tons of it here and I consider it JUNK. They have been trying to change my mind and set me straight!

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see it, Sarah. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the technical difficulties. I love to plan feverishly in my head & then plunge into a project, but my impetuousness often leads to lots of snags during the process. The barbed wire would be very cool as an artistic touch. I've used rusty wire as a hanger (looped through a stick that was screwed into the roof peak).
We used to have an OLD Craftsman radial arm saw that was heavy as lead but just purred & cut like a dream - sold it during one of our pre-move "sheds" & wish I had it now.
Good luck!!!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How interesting! I hope you will post some pictures soon!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  3:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here it is...

The roof is made from brooder house siding (from when we had a turkey ranch) and the rest is from the loading chute we dismantled. There's a small strip of barbed wire on one side that's kinda hard to see, and the door opens with a hidden magnet latch. I tried to make a flower or a heart with the wire, but it's too rusty, it just breaks.

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah-

That looks great! I love the little bits of lichen on the old wood. Are you going to be selling these at a farmer's market? I bet they would do well!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VERY COOL! The bluebirds are gonna love it!

Go to Top of Page

CountryintheBurbs
outbound

12 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  05:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really cool! I asked hubby to help me make one last night since my old one became home to a bunch of bees!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That IS a darling birdhouse - I really want to have a few of them around the farm, and I keep thinking they'll be all complicated to make. Thanks for listing exactly what it's made from - I just might try one myself!

And Tammy - what with the bees being scarce now - "disappearing hive" syndrome - that's great that they moved in to your place! Maybe not so great for the birds, however...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
outbound

12 Posts

Grace
Spokane WA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  9:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit katmom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this post was started last year, but it has inspired me to make some bird houses for around our little farmette...
>^..^<

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
I'm a Gardener in need of a Dirt Manicure!

Edited by - katmom on Feb 13 2009 9:07:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too...my first project is a feeder. We had an old yellow bucket nailed to a tree (from the previous owners), but I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. I like finding odd pieces of wood/metal around the farm and piecing them together. Screen is the perfect base for feeders because it lets moisture escape so the seed stays dry.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have birdhouse that can be easily opened be sure to clean them out well before spring nesting time. Jim cleaned out a couple the other day--not an easy task this year with all the snow but soon the bird's will start to scout for houses.JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  If I Had a Hammer: Previous Topic Birdhouses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000