Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tripping over them! Anybody else found any? We've had a pretty cool dry spring but so far we have found almost 200. Because of the dry conditions some stopped growing and were drying in the ground. Others are a nice size. We've been experiencing a nice gentle rain the past couple of days so we expect lots more. We've found them in the most disturbed places--recent logging etc. Happy Hunting

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A year has past since the last post. Just got an email that someone in the Spokane area has found the first morel near an undisclosed hiking trail. Anyone else found one in their area. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not yet, JoAnn - but you can bet my "morel eyes" are open!! Would love to find the very first one on our own land...

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  04:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay gals - do morels grow in Utah? How and where do you look for them? I know what they look like, but I've never seen or found one in the wild here. Any hints? I would just LOVE to find even ONE of them!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  08:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have morels in Utah unless you are in a dry desserty location. They like to be in burned or disturbed areas. Here's a link to "indicator trees". On the side bar there should be a link to "How to find morels" As Jen mentioned you need to get your "morel eyes" Sometimes Jim will spot one, call me over and say where is it. I can be looking right at it and not see it. They are great hiders. It's probably a little early here in the west with the cool temperatures. Peak here should be in the middle of May. JoAnn Oops I forgot the link. Here it is http://www.morelmushroom.info/Indicator_Trees.html

Edited by - Mountain Girl on Apr 16 2008 08:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWESOME! I have mountains with forests on them on one side of "my" little valley and redrock sandstone on the other - I think I'll check out the "foresty" side. Thanks so much for the link - I'm going to go read up...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, JoAnn - I'm off to have a look!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's still been way too cold here for morels - and maybe not wet enough. OR...perhaps I'm just no good at finding them!

Are you gals still having luck?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  09:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well while Jim has been wandering all around the woods, someone found morels in a front yard in an inner city neighborhood in Spokane a week or so ago.Go figure. It has been pretty chilly. They really should be popping up in mid-May. Keep looking nothing wrong with a wander through the woods. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE Jim just got back from a wander in the woods behind our house and has found morels. About 13 just starting to push up thru the ground. He found them in an area that slash was burned a year or two ago. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya-hoo! That's exciting news. We're actually going have some morels for dinner tonight, but I admit we didn't find them; they were given to us by a generous soul at my hub's office. I miss the days when I used to go out alone & find bushels. I think I've turned into a bit of a sissy with the kids involved. You see, we have SOOOO many ticks here this time of year that it's almost too much trouble to take 3 little ones into the woods. What I'd like to do, if I can find the time to do it, is scout our woods & see if I can find some. Then, I'll dust the kiddos in sulfur & take them out "hunting." That way, they can have the thrill of finding some, but we don't have to wander around all day without finding anything but nasty little bloodsuckers.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  09:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had our first meal of stuffed morels with a King Bolete thrown in for extra flavor. Hmmm good. We do need some rain though since some in the sunny areas are drying up. Jim said if it doesn't rain soon he'll put his backpack spraying on and go wate his "crop". JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  08:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't blame him, JoAnn! So, hey, what's your recipe for the stuffed morels...?!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Angie
outthinking

2 Posts

Angela
Naples New York
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Angie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh happiness...other women talking about gathering mushrooms! I haven't had luck with morels this year, last time one came up in my oak woods I decided to wait a day for it to grow and when I came back a deer had nipped it off.

Morels are terrific over fettuccine with a very light cream sauce! Yum.

I am trying to raise my own gourmet mushrooms at home and have plugged mycillium into several stumps at home and finally, this year, my fudge brownieake are beginning to flush! If I can keep the slugs and squirrels and other varmints from eating them first I will have a feast.

mothernaturewriter
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there, Angie! Welcome to the "Outpost" - I know you're going to love it here. Oh - and I can almost TASTE the morel pasta with cream sauce...mmmmmmmmm

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  1:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to see you here, Angie! I think you're the only one of us who has tried growing mushrooms - too cool. I love morels sauteed with just a bit of butter or olive oil & salt. They go so well with so many things, adding the most sumptuous mushroomy flavor.

JoAnn, has Jim ever grown them?

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim is leading a mushroom hike and how to cook them demonstration this Saturday at the Little Pend Oreille Wildlife Refuge. In the past we've done this and w'd get maximum around 20 people. Other events hardly anyone shows up. They decided to really do a better job of advertising it (somehow the small,local radio station kepts making anouncements abot it). Well over 60 people(way to many) so far so we had to stop taking reservations and disappointing lots of people. I woke up in the middle of the night worrying when I thought about where to park the cars since the area we are meeting to then carpool is very small. Jim just came back and said there are three morels coming up in my flower garden very near the house.
Jen, some people have said they have cultivated morels but it's very iffy. I read that one company who were growing them in a sand mixture couldn't get the sand out of the nooks and crannies and folded. Oh and you asked for the recipe for my stuffed morels. I take a little hamburger or sausage if I want it spicier, add a little onion, garlic or chives, little green pepper if I have it and some bread crumbs. Melt some butter in a pan and cook at 350 until they look done. You don't have to make a lot since the cavities sometimes are very small. Sometimes I cut them in half lengthwise and put the stuffing on top. JoAnn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Wild Edibles: Previous Topic Morels Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000