Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 MaryJane's Outpost News
 Suggestions for MJ's Outpost book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Suggestions for MJ's Outpost book? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  08:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The crew at MaryJane's Farm is busy creating a new book based on the "Outpost" section of MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook - For the Farmgirl in All of Us.

The Outpost book will take us beyond the bounds of the farm for adventures in camping, hiking, outdoor work, backcountry safety, and of course camp cooking! Any topic on the Dispatch is fair game, so which are your favorites? What do you consider essential backcountry knowledge, and what would you like to learn more about?

Pipe in & share your ideas. This book promises to be our kind of reading!

Jen

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jen,
My pipeline says reelwomen talk about ideas for knots and lashings. Wet fly and nymphs makes for a mean tippet.
what about coiled grass, tule basketry, or cardweaving, cording?

Essential backcountry knowledge:
don't leave home without your bandana

leave no trace=the impact on spoiling a campsite.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think talking about gear that is targeted towards women would be great. I know she has mentioned this in some of her other writings, but it is always great information to have.

Also sections about wilderness camping protocol would probably be good. Things like Pack it in- Pack it out.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  2:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talks on gear?

...would be in my protocol for the trail...

please... really... can't we come up or think of a question to talk to fellow climbers, hikers, paddlers that doesn't talk about

hey I see you got a black diamond backpack?

yeah ya know joan baez sings about diamonds and rust
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
outbound

14 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  09:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vintage Redhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is about the gear *branding* - I think it is more about "What type of gear do you find indispensable on the trail/at the campsite / on the dock?"

One of the things that my DH does is to peek into other campsites. What did other people bring with them? By doing so, we found that we had *waaaaaay* overpacked on our last expidition. Do we *really* need 4 camp chairs? Depends on the campground. Does each kid need their own backpack? Not if they aren't going to be taking it with them...then it's just taking up space and allowing for "mess" at the site. Is taking 4 different cooking pots necessary? Nope...one will do.

So...yeah. I see it being a *great* idea to share gear stories. Especially since there are varying levels of experience. We don't want to overburden the more experienced of us with talk of the basics, but on the same hand, we don't want to see neophytes discouraged from trying an out-country excursion. ~ Kaylyn

~ Kaylyn ~ (Suburban FARMGIRL, family CAMPER, altered ARTIST)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Karen. It's a challenge to keep the "experts" on the hook while still reeling in the novices. MJ seems to have a knack for that, though, doesn't she?

So, how about romantic getaways? Does anybody manage to make those happen anymore? If you had a couple of days alone with your honey, what would be more appealing to you - the physical challenges of outdoor sports (backpacking, climbing, biking, camping) or lounging at some sort of lovely lodge where you could sip lemonade & watch the wild world from your veranda?

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd love a good rock climbing section.......... bugs section....... I LOVE bees.......... how to poop in the woods (delicately)......... just throwing some things out here. When I first married Paul, I got an entire dissertation on how to poop without soiling the environment!! I kid you not, how deep the hole should be, how to burn your paper, etc. etc. There is an art to it!! jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo I think they have a book out called How to fudge brownie in the Woods. I've heard that on some heavily traveled trails up to the mountains you have to pack you know what out. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
outbound

14 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vintage Redhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh - doing the *does a bear shout in the woods* [my cleaned up version!] thing in the woods. The "...rules..." about how to be tidy are quite unique. And IMNSHO, there are different rules depending upon where you're at. Bear country? No *way* am I leaving it behind - I'll burn it rather than risk getting stalked. Pit toilets in the vicinity but not immediately accessible when the time strikes? I'll bring it back to the pits.

As far as the romantic getaways: hmmmmm. I'd personally think that a combined roughing-it-on-the-trail-as-we-make-our-way-elsewhere would be most ideal. Something about 4 days without a shower not in keeping with my idea of romance. But 4 days on the trail with a nice cabin or lodge in sight...now that I could do! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Suburban FARMGIRL, family CAMPER, altered ARTIST)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on, who cleaned up my title. It's a legitimate title. Check it out on Amazon. In my original post I was going to apologize if anyone was offended but thought that would be silly. It's not a cookbook, it's a serious book on how to "eliminate" in the woods. "Fudge Brownie?" I would never substitute "fudge brownie" for "that" word. I have never heard of something that silly. I could see censoring the word if I was swearing rather than giving you an accurate title. Ok I'll climb off my soap box now. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't do it, JoAnn, I swear! Perhaps chock it up to the powers-that-be above me I'm gonna step up on your soapbox for a second, though, and provide the book's title with a "fig leaf" asterisk for diplomacy: How to Sh*t in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art by Kathleen Meyer.

The book description on Amazon says: "Our once-pristine wildlands are threatened by ever increasing problems of pollution. Since its first publication in 1989, How to Sh*t in the Woods has been adopted by outdoor enthusiasts everywhere as part of the solution. In this updated edition, outdoorswoman Kathleen Meyer reviews the newly available portable potties, with special attention to individual trekkers in an all-new chapter, 'Plight of the Solo Poop Packer.' Other topics include: the growing array of travelers' field water-disinfecting systems, Giardia contamination and the now infamous critter Cryptosporidium, crotch-accessible clothing for women, and a fresh batch of 'worst experience' stories, all peppered with irreverent musings. For the purist, there are more wise t.p.-less techniques from the Old World. Written with an effervescent sense of humor, this is a book for anyone who wants to enjoy the outdoors responsibly."

Novices to this "art form" might find the book indispensable (unless, of course, there was a lack of T.P., and the book was right there, and, well - you get the picture.)

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen I didn't think it was you who would have do such a thing. I think what reallly irritated me was the word they used instead of the actual word in the title. Sounded something a five year old would say. It does seem odd that the full spelling of the word is offensive but but the sanitized spelling it's not. I shared this with a few couples over the Fourth who normally would not go around swearing and had a good laugh over it and the shared sentiment , besides it being silly, was they too cannot look at a fudge brownie again. : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  3:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, now, don't be rash, JoAnn - brownies ARE beautiful!

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<~~~talk about a side track on this trail of takes us beyond the bounds of the farm

gear lol
ok I'm wrong... MJ write re: packing chairs and backpacks on campouts w/children...don't forget to tell all the fun of a snipe hunt game

My home has the lovely veranda...and since the wilderness always sparks the gentlemanly protector gene... I say pull out what's in stuffstack #3 leave the lanai behind to do, as we did, so many years ago on our honeymoonrollin in my sweetbaby's arms under the stars is totally my style of togetherness.

While I'm dreaming, my top romantic trip destinations:
sailing nevis and st.kitts and diving and spearfishing reefs
whitewater rapids of new river in WestVA by canoe
backpack the Wonderland trail around Mt.Rainier when the lupines are in bloom
horsepack trip Banff's Rainbow Ridge for the fall color

Go to Top of Page

bluesky
outthinking

4 Posts

Jeannie

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think an article about "making do" do would be good to read. For instance, if you are camping, miles from nowhere, and do not have......whatever......how can you make do? Using the natural world around you, what is safe and what is not? Or even using something you may have packed for one to make do for a different purpose....
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  08:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how to filet a fish properly?

we were out in the woods way north of here a few weekends ago at this beautiful little lake. My dogs found people poop, egads, gross me out! They didn't bury the stuff!!!

not trying to gross you out here, but a food section......

pemmican recipe maybe
how to properly smoke fish/meat, that is an absolute art up here......
the whole fishing knot thing!!!
land preservation/land trusts, getting involved in conservation/conservancy..... jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if MJ would share what topics she is already working with.... It would help at least with better brainstorming.

Sometimes just being given a topic can spur a plethora of ideas. Just a thought.

Nikki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Suggestions for MJ's Outpost book? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000