Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We bought our farm in February, and it already had a very nicely tended above-ground pool. So, last month, when the weather warmed up, I set about learning how to keep this pool clean & clear because it seemed like such a luxury - WOW, what I would've done for a pool as a kid!! Everyone I consulted said to get the requisite pool chemicals at Walmart - it's easy, they said, everybody does it. So I did. We've been swimming blissfully in the crystal clear water; my 6-yr-old has gained enough confidence to lose her life jacket, and my water-shy 4-yr-old has been happily paddling around in hers. As for me, when I find a moment to get out there, I am in mermaid heaven.

But then, when it came time to re-treat with the chemicals (I waited as long as I could - till muck started to cloud the water), I paused & read the warnings on the "Pool Shock" word for word. It says that this product is toxic to fish & other aquatic life. I couldn't deny it any longer - I feed my babies organics, clean my house with vinegar and baking soda, prohibit PVC toys, etc, etc, so WHY on earth would I let them SWIM in pesticides???
And so, sad as we all are to lose it, we decided that we're going to remove the pool & build a fire ring in the stone "bowl" where the pool sits. We're gonna put a big rock ring on the middle & benches around. The girls even came up with the idea that they could ride their bikes around the stone circle (there's no smooth place for fledgling cyclists to ride near our property).
And, we're just gonna have to spend lots of days on one of the gorgeous creeks around here!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Jul 13 2007 08:22:01 AM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  07:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I was rich, I would soooooo do THIS:

"The swimming area is separated from the planted, biological filter area and a waterfall offers pleasant music and valuable aeration. A skimmer collects large debris and a UV sterilizer polishes off the water cleaning process and assures biological safety."
Check out the website:
http://www.totalhabitat.com/P&P.html

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  12:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boys grew up on swim teams, we have a pool, have you thought about using a salt system on your pool?

The UV system is intriguing. I used to have horses and I am hooking up our horse troughs as a way to recycle water=make a waterfall into a little fish/lily pond... might be a good way to control the algae by adding this too.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, I know, I'm being extreme, but chlorine is a proven nasty. I have so many mental conundrums these days regarding health & safety - esp now that I'm a mom. I mean, there are all kinds of people out there who smoke & bathe in pesticides & eat non-organic bacon sandwiches every day of their lives and live to be 104. But, when you become educated about the potential negatives of things, it's hard to ignore them. Sometimes, though, I think that if I did ignore it all, the ensuing "ignorant bliss" might be healthier than all the precaution in the world! I don't know.
So, now I'm off to check out the salt system stuff 'cause I know nothing about it....

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, see, salt may be bad too. UV? Yes - sounds good. Found this website: http://www.ecosmartepool.com/. Interesting, probably spendy.
UV and oxygenation keep streams running clear!

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  08:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, salt's is sodium chloride= sodium and chlorine. ...not the best tho really how many world class swimmers do see profiled for case studies for cancer?
And if ya are this diligent re: your children, an initial cost outlay should override yearly chemical/future medical costs?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a difficult choice! I know it was probably lots of fun having the swimming pool, but if you don't feel comfortable letting your family in there- it kind of saps out the fun, doesn't it?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought. Finally started disassembling it today - came face-to-face with a black widow under one of the rim cap things - YIKES.
It was a tough call, but I'd been eyeing it from the beginning with an awesome BBQ pit in mind. Now the kids are excited about the metamorphosis too!

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yuck! I hate poisonous spiders and snakes! I am glad your kids are onboard with the decision- otherwise they could make your life miserable!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress...

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clean slate - now we've got to haul a bunch of rocks up from the creek to close in the stone ring a few feet...

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  10:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good progress! I am impressed!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  4:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elizaray! I lugged what seemed like a TON of rocks into the back of our Jeep, drove them up, and set them in place - and they only make a scant semicircle about 1 foot wide! Oh well, it'll come together eventually. What we'll do once all the rocks are in is pour dry concret into the crevices & sprinkle with the hose, then sweep off the excess. Will let you know if it works...

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  8:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen-

I don't have much experience with paving, but it sounds like your plan might crack and break up if the rocks aren't packed tightly. Maybe you could go to Home Depot and get advice?

It really is amazing how much square footage of rock it takes to fill a hole, isn't it?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it might crack a bit, but judging by what's there so far, it ought to work out okay for our purposes (wouldn't want to do it for anything structural!). Anyway, will wait for some cooler weather to proceed - it's been 100+ here lately! We've been spending a bunch of time on the White River!

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  2:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.wesh.com/news/13853318/detail.html?subid=10100244

Child Dies After Swimming In Local Lake, wasn't there a couple Tulsa OK kids a couple of years ago who died of this too?

amoebic encephalitis, kinda scarey to imagine naegleria fowelei enters nasal/ear passages traveling directly to the brain.

Did you sell/freecycle/recyle the pool parts?

Looks like ya got one huge tribal fire pit. Are ya going to invite over the clan and do the community Labor Day/halloween bonfires? Putting in a spit or tripod cooker?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Freaky yuck-yuck....bacteria are scary. We gave the pool parts to one of my hub's coworkers who, like most people we know, think we're nutty. To each his/her own decisions.
Tribal indeed! We're thinking just a plain old pit for now, as there is negative room in the budget, but we will definitely do some ritual harvest-time fire dancing!

Oh, and back to the black widows - we've had a bunch turn up on the porch seemingly dead but NOT. The black wasps, with whom we mostly happily coexist, paralyze spiders & lay eggs within (I think) so that the growing wasp babies can feed on living spiders! Wild, creepy stuff. Hats off to the wasps for cutting down on the poisonous spider population!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Going Green: Previous Topic So long, swimming pool Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000