Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Working in the Wild
 Scary story - can't be too careful out there!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Working in the Wild: Previous Topic Scary story - can't be too careful out there! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  6:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A 24-year old female field researcher in Colorado's San Isabel National Forest was found dead after calling for help. Probable homicide.
Here's the link:

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_178115840.html

It's easy to feel invincible when you're working outdoors, but the wilderness is no place to let your guard down. I think both women & men should be equipped with bear spray (if not a gun), radio or cell phone, and flares, but I've been out there a number of times without any of those things. Moral: Always watch your back, girls.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Jun 29 2007 07:27:54 AM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  07:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update on this story:

http://www.9news.com/news/top-article.aspx?storyid=72784

The woman's female field partner unknowingly enlisted the help of the murderer to find her missing coworker. I know it's tough to say just how any of us might react in a stressful situation, but that seems like a really bad judgement call.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so sad! Those poor women! It is amazing that only one was killed! Doesn't it creep you out that the killer was still hanging around and was acting normal enought that the other woman asked him for help?!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a horrific story, this is why us mothers worry. What really is sad is how there are many stories about the kindness and helpfulness of people that never get reported just these kind of stories. I read a book called the Kindness of Strangers about a young man who set out to hitchhike across the country with no money just relying on the kindness of stranger. It worked out and he only had good encounters. I wonder if that would happen today. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
outbound

14 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  09:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vintage Redhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is *so* tragic!! Those of us who go out camping, hiking, etc. do so to *escape* the everyday nonsense...not be confronted by it! The difficult part to wrap my brain around is that so many of us are trusting that those near us are like-minded and safe. What a sad reminder that we can be threated and harmed anywhere... ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Suburban FARMGIRL, family CAMPER, altered ARTIST)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, I hear you all. The infuriating aspect from my perspective as a (former) field biologist is that the government is always trying to save money in the wrong places, and penny pinching may well have contributed to this woman's death. Our illustrious president has effectively "condensed" the federal government per his Republican agenda by laying off vast numbers of employees (instead, contractors are hired for one-time jobs and volunteer labor is rampant). So, when it comes to remaining employees, it's cheaper to send a team into the field & have them break up to cover more ground. Bye-bye, buddy system. I have a female friend whose job often requires her to survey remote mountain areas alone (despite her own sensible reservations). Pardon me, but that is bullst.
Sure, a similar tragedy could have occurred if a team (of women or men) had been working in close proximity, but chances are, the creep would have been more intimidated.

Edited by - Jen on Jul 03 2007 1:51:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
outbound

14 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  3:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vintage Redhead's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jen

Yep, ...when it comes to remaining employees, it's cheaper to send a team into the field & have them break up to cover more ground. Bye-bye, buddy system. I have a female friend whose job often requires her to survey remote mountain areas alone (despite her own sensible reservations). Pardon me, but that is bullst.
Sure, a similar tragedy could have occurred if a team (of women or men) had been working in close proximity, but chances are, the creep would have been more intimidated...

I agree, this isn't right. It goes against nearly every safety precaution we have been taught (and try to teach our kids) about taking a buddy everywhere and never going off alone by yourself. But these field researchers are having to make a difficult choice: go by myself, get the work done, earn a reputation in my field of expertise, earn good graces by being easy to work with, better the chances of landing one of the few *paid* positions in my field of expertise...*OR*...be bothersome, risk losing this, risk a future, be a cog in the wheel. Hmmmm...if it were *my* future and career at stake, I'm pretty sure I'd land on the side of going it alone. That isn't a choice that *anyone* should have to make.

I, too, think the creep would have been intimidated - sounds like a woman alone on the trail was his desired target. I hope he rots this time...he should never have been released in 2002!! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Suburban FARMGIRL, family CAMPER, altered ARTIST)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Working in the Wild: Previous Topic Scary story - can't be too careful out there! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000