Author Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic The Yangze River Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  12:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never been there, but it just looks awesome...

Part of Yangze river, located between Chongqing and Yichang, China.(CC)
Source: http://www.enn.com/iotd2.html?id=909

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

CountryintheBurbs
outbound

12 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  10:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that looks like a wild adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you read the story of "Ping" the duck? It's a children's book that I just loved, and recently bought for my boys. It's about a duck who lives on a "wise-eyed boat in the yellow waters of the Yangtze river. It's definitely worth checking out...

Wouldn't that be an amazing river to float/run? Oh, there are just SO many wild and beautiful places in this world!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MS Farmgirl
outthinking

5 Posts

Karen
Como MS
USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  09:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit MS Farmgirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out the May issue of National Geographic. It's all about China. I just read where the country is experiencing the largest mass migration in its history ----150 million people are moving from the country into the cities. Hard to imagine, huh?

The photography of the country is stunning as usual for NG. I can't help but think of the recent earthquake and wonder with the modernization of the country, how many Chinese still possess skills that allow them to live close to the land? Since living in the country, I value every little knowledge...how to tie a good knot, a good tool, encouraging my garden to grow.

Mississippi Hill Country Musings
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  09:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, Karen. And it's eerie to think about the potential consequences of all of this hog-wild industrialization. I'm just glad to possess (and continue to learn) all of those important little "real life" skills - no petrochemicals needed!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it amazing how rewarding it can be to just whip out the right knot when you need it - or be able to easily put up a gate that's fallen... Karen and Jen - don't you feel like each little bit of "farmgirl" knowledge you learn gives you the confidence to learn more? I love how that works - I see it in my kids, and now that I take a look, I see it in myself, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Read this film review in a Sierra Club email. Sounds interesting...

Up the Yangtze
http://www.uptheyangtze.com/

Written, directed, and narrated by Canadian filmmaker Yung Chang, Up the Yangtze explores the human impact of China’s enormous Three Gorges Dam Project on China’s largest river. The 600 ft. tall dam is on track to become the world’s largest hydroelectric power station in 2011. If all goes according to plan, the river's altered course will have displaced about 2 million people by then. Up the Yangtze focuses on the lives of Chinese citizens whose lives have already been changed by the rising waters. It follows one poor family that built a hut and subsistence farm along the riverbank after being flooded out of their home elsewhere on the Yangtze.

With illiterate parents who can’t afford to send her to college, the family’s oldest child, a 16-year-old girl, must work aboard a ship that takes American and European tourists on so-called “farewell cruises” of the Yangtze. She takes on the western name “Cindy” upon boarding the vessel, and works side by side with teens from relatively wealthy families.

In tracing Cindy’s struggle to adapt to this wildly different culture, the film also takes viewers on a farewell journey of the river. Shots of precipitous slopes rising unnaturally out of a flooded valley and the pale haze present in every scene remind us that China's explosive development has altered the lives of millions as much as the environment. More importantly, we catch a glimpse of the shifting ground where these two -- people and planet -- meet. Few films have shown this more clearly than Chang's Up the Yangtze.

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic The Yangze River Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000