Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Quotable Quotes Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like this one!

"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."

--Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  8:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The alarming prevalence of the virulent E. coli 0157 in our food system is due to an animal industry allowed to raise cattle in stressful environments on unnatural diets. Allowing such practices to continue while burdening produce growers with the impossible task of sterilizing their farms is folly beyond belief."

--Tom Willey, an organic vegetable producer with T & D Willey Farms in Madera, CA, 2007

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  5:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."

--Henry Beston

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I know it is over used, but still very true:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Confucious

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"They [women] dream of plunging their hands into the earth, which is red as blood and soft, which is milky and warm. They dream that the earth gathers itself under their hands, swells, changes its form, flowers into a thousand shapes, for them too, for them once more. They dream of apples; they dream of the creation of the world; they dream of freedom."

-- Margaret Atwood

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  08:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"No doubt these trees would make good lumber after passing through a sawmill, as George Washington after passing through the hands of a French cook would have made good food." - J. Muir

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treat the Earth well: it was given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Ancient Native American proverb. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  7:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth"
-Chief Seattle

Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In 1931, not long before he died, the [Edison] told his friends Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone: “I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.”

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Quotable Quotes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000