Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started reading a book called Skinny Dipping by Janet Lembke. She's a bit of an academic for my taste, but her affinity for water and, well, skinny dipping keep me turning pages.

What are you reading now?

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, right now, I might be sneaking in a few words from "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" during the slow times at my training. I know, I know... I'm the last person on the planet to read it, but can I plead "springtime on my farm" as an excuse?!?!?!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Libbie - I'm lucky if I get to read more than a paragraph a night. But, this IS a wonderful time to be working your way through "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  07:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still chugging along through "AVM," but I am anxiously awaiting MaryJane's new magazine. I've been checking the P.O. Box daily for the past week! Maybe today...! I'm going to have to sit right down and read that one, even if I *should* be doing something else.

Anybody here received theirs yet?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I FINALLY got mine yesterday, Libbie - I've been so anxious. I loved reading your story. How inspiring it must be to have all that heritage rooted right there on your own farm. It made me think about how much I'd like to begin that tradition for my family...in spite of my wandering urges. An enduring homestead is a beautiful thing.
The magazine is of course delightful in its entirety -- so much down-to-earth inspiration on every page. I'm hooked again!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Libbie's article too. Did you see the ad for Maryjane's new book? I love it! Love it as much as Jen's book A Mile in her Book. Do you know who took the picture? JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  3:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so excited about MJ's new book - and I can tell you it is gorgeous. Of course, I am a bit biased seeing as how there are bunches of photos of my kids in it! Such a thrill!! It is truly an outpost girl's dream, though - packed with info for the novice and seasoned outdoorswoman alike. I just love the format of MJ's books and magazines because they're broken down into these beautiful bite-sized pieces that you can savor whenever you get a moment to yourself.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  08:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Jen, I just love how her books and magazines are put together. They're not so "by the book" Right now I am reading, Journey Of The Pink Dolphins, and it is great so far. What are some of you favorite authors?

Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just started a new book called Try by Lily Burana. I bought it because Amazon recommended it for readers who like Pam Houston. So far it's keeping me reading, but not Pam. I've gotten so darn picky about what I read. Maybe I'll warm up to it more as I go.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wesley the Owl......... I've been dreaming about owls now, a little dose of Wesley at bedtime. We'll go Owling soon........

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jo - that looks like one I need to get. I had a couple close encounters with a barn owl a few years ago that left me feeling touched by something mythical. I love owls...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  08:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished AVM. It was a great read. Right now I am doing some pleasure reading/listening to audiobooks on my MP3 player as I clean the house! :D

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just ordered, well received, an old copy of The Little House Cookbook. Does anybody else have it? It may be more of a novelty than anything else, but I'm already enjoying the nice intro & dreaming on some hasty pudding!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just finished a good one: The Outlander by Gil adamson. I bet you gals would like it. Check it out & read an excerpt on the author's website: http://giladamson.com/

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, if you want a good book that will really get you thinking read "Plan B 3.0" by Lester R Brown. It is right up our alley!

http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB3/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Alee! I am really enjoying this book! It sure makes you think about your everyday choices, doesn't it?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read 'A Reasonable Life' by Ference Mate. Loved it!
http://www.amazon.com/Reasonable-Life-Toward-Simpler-Existence/dp/0920256368/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240872854&sr=1-1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000