Author Wild Edibles: Previous Topic First Wild Yummies? Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  1:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the first wild edible you forage for in your area? When will it pop up?

I've already munched some watercress, but it's here all winter, so it doesn't really count as a spring sprouter. Can't wait to try again for some morel mushrooms in April!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Ladytrapper
outbound

32 Posts

Juanita
Nova Scotia
Canada
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  06:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ladytrapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess the first would be the tiny wild strawberry, then the cattail, then wild raspberries and blackberries. Of course the wonderful wild blueberry though we have to share those respectfully with the local bear poplulation LOL No Morels in our area, but I have heard they are great. Wild peppermint is now out here as well.

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dandelions for me personally, but if I could find the wild asparagus that would be a close second for sure. I am going to take Libbie up on her offer to help me find some next year for sure!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE asparagus!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my husband is a mycologist I'd have to say mushrooms. After that huckleberries. Have lots of edible greens but haven't utilized them yet. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just tried a new one at my mom's house called pepperweed. I think it's an introduced plant, like so many edible greens I've found, but the tiny leaves add a peppery spice to salad.

Just found a good link to excerpts from a wild edibles book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=BEOTNFCG6gYC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=pepperweed,+edible&source=web&ots=4gfhSSh6yM&sig=gfZS3wsSVjEwG8tR3SO_UOUNxMs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA25,M1

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Wild Edibles: Previous Topic First Wild Yummies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000