Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess this question has come to mind in light of Hillary Clinton's campaign, but it applies to all of us who strike out into the great, wide world. From entrepreneurs to backpackers, we modern women are staking claim to new territories. So, I wonder, do you think forfeiting femininity helps women achieve lofty goals - whether it be the presidency or mountain tops? Must we tame our curls, speak in baritone voices, wear "sensible" straight-cut suits, and stifle the lush & lovely traits that make us mothers, sisters, lovers, women? Does the adoption of male mannerisms make us more effective? Does it somehow secure our position as "feminists"?
Share your thoughts

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  9:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is always a hard one..hmmm..well, I think, yes even in 2008, there is still a mystique associated with being a powerful woman, whether President of the US or President of her home, I think powerful, strong, intelligent woman are still frowned upon in many ways. It is hard to strike that balance because I think so much more is expected of women. For the most part, we are the caregivers to our children or family and can run a household in check like no one's business but when we try to apply that to a the working world, for some strange reason we are supposed to drop our feminine "quirks" to fit in. I believe in the womanly instinct and I think it has a powerful place in the world. Compassion, quick thinking, inventive, multi-skilled,- just a few of the words I can think of that describe most women I know. I think there is a double standard- dress provacitively, and you are talked about and labeled, dress conservately- you are talked about and labeled. I don't think there is a middle ground.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems to be the unfortunate truth. I was just reading today that Clinton's ratings sank when she tried putting on a kinder, gentler persona (I think that was around the time of her appearance on Saturday Night Live, but I'm pretty far removed from current political events). I guess, to me, it's a matter of creating your own ground to stand on - whether it's in the middle or someplace else. Women have a pretty good foothold these days, so I think it's time to stop rehashing "feminism" and be ourselves. To wear pink aprons and mudboots, to let our hair down and laugh out loud, to shamelessly reveal our curves--if we want to--and still retain charge of kitchen and country.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

hikinmama
outthinking

5 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  10:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen,
I agree wholeheartedly. Sunglasses on, Curly-Q's in my hair, and mud between my toes...makes me no less ready to tackle the world. I think people long for sincerity. I know it's pretty easy to spot someone who is truely being themselves, I always want to be around them. True people who are comfortable in their own skin, and can sit quietly with their own thoughts...man or woman...shouldn't have to give up anything.

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #151
Go to Top of Page

Carrie M
outthinking

3 Posts

Carrie
Argyle NY
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Girls-

I must agree with Jen (hikinmama) that I prefer to be with people who are what/who they are. When we try to be anything else it just seems fake and is a turn off. I just love being with sincere people! My midwife/ob/gyn is a wonderful woman who can both wrestle cows and spin yarn then knit it into a sweater. She is so real and so personable. She can take control of a delivery room then coo in the face of a newborn while pampering a new mom. She's wonderful!

I don't see how forfeiting our femininity would help us get any further if it means not being ourselves. What I see in Hillary Clinton is a woman who has grown cold and hard in the face of political pursuits (and a less than fulfilling marriage). I find her difficult to respect much less admire. She has become downright ugly in recent days. I think that detracts more than attracts--politically or personally!

Carrie

Living simply so others can simply live!

Sisterhood Member #147
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  12:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you, girls. Especially being in a new part of the country (again), I find myself on the lookout for like minds. I'll spot somebody across a parking lot and instantly feel a connection because they seem to project who they are effortlessly (unfortunately, there is nothing effortless about H. Clinton).

To quote Linus from It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, I'd love "nothing but sincerity - as far as the eye can see!"

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  10:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this discussion. I so firmly believe that being "womanly" IS where our power, composure and sincerety lie. Certainly, we can succeed in whatever arena we choose, and isn't it wonderful to see a woman BE a real person, a WOMAN wherever she is? What I hear you all saying is that being ourselves is the way to go. It doesn't have much to do with "proving" anything to anyone. It has everything to do with teaching and showing our daughters and other women that what we are is beautiful, strong and valuable...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  10:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, dare I ask -- what's your take on Hillary, Libbie?

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...I'm not sure. I want so very much to like and respect her, but I'm not really there yet. It's sort of like making yourself fall in love with an incompatible person. I WANT to vote for her, but I don't believe I will - there's just something Big missing. No promises, however.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too. I've pretty much decided to vote green, as "meaningless" as that may render my vote. I want to express my dissatisfaction with the current state of politics, and even though there are some key issues I disagree with (and I'm not sure they aren't all a bunch of dunderheads), green is closest to my comfort zone. Honestly, if Gore would run again, he'd have my vote - period.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is such an interesting topic. I was such a tomboy growing up, but recently have bought more skirts and dresses than pants! I feel more feminine and also- dare I say it- more in control when I where a skirt. It's amazing how people treat a woman in dress or a skirt as opposed to just wearing pants!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's ALL about being yourself, whatever that may be. Everything else could just be interpreted in any way to any person and really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. TRUST your intuition, like some of you have said, you can feel random connections with people because they are letting their light shine not because of what they are wearing that particular day. It's all just words anyway and why do we have to call it something for it to be real? If a woman has "adopted" male manerisms and she is more successful because of it, maybe the real truth is that she is a strong, well rounded woman who is in touch with her feminine and masculine sides. Just keep it real, get to know yourself, and let it all fly! (which is more than I can say for Hilary)Traci
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great point Traci! I really do think it has to do with what we are all comfortable with. I love my skirts...but there is no way you are going to get the pants out of my closet as well! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

RuralFarmGirl
outbound

25 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  08:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best thing is to always bring yourself 100% to the game, I think that if you are a women that balances your "leather & Lace" then that is what you should always be. I think people are to smart and can recognize when someone is trying hard to be something they aren't whether it be the softer side or the tough side that is sometimes called for.I am the type of feminist that doesn't believe that my Power comes from being like a man, but rather by living life as a frontier women embracing all the attributes I was given. No one in my community would be shocked to see me in boots, skirt and apron and getting the job done :)

Sister-hood Coordinator for MaryJanesfarm
"Circumstances made us friends, MaryJanes made us Sisters"

www.farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rene- I think that is the key! I think each gender has it's strengths, but I don't want to be like a guy. I want to just be me and strive to be likethe amazing women that coped and overcame obstacles so that I could be here now in this generation!
Go to Top of Page

RuralFarmGirl
outbound

25 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alee~ Well said!

Sister-hood Coordinator for MaryJanesfarm
"Circumstances made us friends, MaryJanes made us Sisters"

www.farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to wonder this same thing - until I met MaryJane. She is one of the most feminine women I've ever met or seen and look at what she's done with her life.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Ecopinions: Previous Topic forfeit femininity? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000