Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Coming Home to the Land
 Fighting global warming with a piece of rope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Fighting global warming with a piece of rope Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've heard of NIMBY which stands for "Not In My Back Yard" and refers to people who don't want something undesirable (e.g. a waste incinerator, a dump, a fire-breathing dragon, etc.) living in their local community but aren't opposed to it living in someone else's. The rise in climate change awareness is leading to a new YIMBY movement where people are saying "yes" to using their backyards for a healthier planet. Some are planting kitchen gardens and, as a New York Times article points out, others are hanging clotheslines. While some might say "there goes the neighborhood", better that than "there goes the planet."
Article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/garden/12clothesline.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Source: http://www.kitchengardeners.org/2007/04/fighting_global_warming_with_clotheslines.html

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  11:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's warm enough today here for the clothesline!!! I really am addicted to the "crispiness" of line-dried towels. Three's something exhilirating (not to mention exfoliating!) about them - if you're not yet into the clothesline "movement," give it a whirl - you'll love it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Fighting global warming with a piece of rope Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000