Author Going Green: Previous Topic This is good news for me... Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...I tend to s-t-r-e-t-c-h my oil changes out months beyond the due date. But, I guess I'm okay! The Sierra Club says:

Quicky oil-change shops may urge us to change the oil in our vehicles every 3,000 miles. But most cars nowadays don’t need changing that often. In fact, most manufacturers say you can go 7,000 miles without a problem. Ditto for that SUV—unless you really are starring in one of those TV ads and driving it hard and long over dusty roads.

What difference does it make? Consider this: each year California alone generates about 153 million gallons of used oil. Change less often and it really can save your engine and the planet.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  4:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whew! I just KNEW there was a good reason that I continue to forget to get the oil changed in my car! I think I hit just over 7k between changes last time. It's so good to have it confirmed that it's "okay"!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More good news for me 'cause I'm a slow-driving momma these days! This is from the Sierra Club...

With gas prices reaching $4/gallon, there is an easy way for you to save money at the pump if you simply must drive.

Slow Down!

The friendly folks over at the San Francisco Chronicle did some reseach and concluded that "how much you stand to save depends on a lot of factors. With gas at $4 a gallon, a driver with a long commute - 400 miles a week - and a gas-guzzling vehicle getting only 20 mpg would save $18.74 a week by slowing down dramatically from 75 to 55 mph, extrapolating from the government's most recent figures on the subject. Even a more moderate deceleration - from 70 to 60 mph - would save that driver $11.74 a week."

The Chronicle reporter went out on a test drive at 59 miles per hour and waited to see how many cars he would pass. He reported that "even through the 50 mph zone through downtown, nobody was driving slower than 60. It took a couple miles of driving to tally the first slow-moving fuel saver."

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Going Green: Previous Topic This is good news for me... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000