Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Coming Home to the Land
 I am so blissfully SORE today!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic I am so blissfully SORE today! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I came home yesterday morning from taking my oldest daughter to school and decided to finish our orchard fence. We just planted a bunch of blueberry bushes and raspberries, so we're in dire need of a barrier before the deer discover our green goodies. Plus, it was a gorgeous, golden morning—I just couldn't go inside.

Now, let me just tell you that we are seriously low-tech, scrape-by farmers. We don't have tractors, ATVs, or any other modern-day motorized equipment that makes farm work easier. So, we fall back on the old fashioned essentials: determination, muscle power, and sweat. My husband had already cut down and limbed a bunch of cedar trees throughout the woods, so I dragged eight 12-footers to my Jeep—the family car—and rigged them up with a tow rope to drag them out to the orchard (it took me 3 trips). Then, I set to work with a post-hole digger while my 2 younger kids played in the dewy grass. I almost stopped after I finished the holes because I was nervous about hoisting those big cedar posts up and into the ground. But, I wasn't in the mood to back down. I loaded the kids into the Jeep, out of harm's way, and planted all of the poles by myself!

Now, all we'll have to do is pack them in tight with dirt and put up the fencing. Did I mention I accomplished all of this before 10am?

Here's to farmgirl gumption!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Toledo, Jen!!! I've done the post hole thing and dang, it's not easy. And all before 10? SUPERWOMAN!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  07:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's awesome Jen! What a great way to just pick up and get'er done!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic I am so blissfully SORE today! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000