Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  9:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your favorite "bird book," as in field guide? For around home, I really like "Birds of Utah" by Stan Tekiela. It's great not to have to search through birds that I'm really unlikely to see in order to identify one around the valley or farm.

As far as bird ID in the wider world, I have and enjoy the Peterson Field Guide, but I've heard such great things about the Sibley guide. What do you girls use and love? I might invest in a Sibley if it's really good...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I generally turn to my Peterson, too. Haven't seen the Sibley, so I'm interested to hear what others think of it.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I KNOW that you gals have bird books. I'm just wanting to get my older boy used to using one, and I know it's easiest to use the same one each time, especially when you're learning to look things up. Which one would you start with?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Google count? I don't have any bird books, but I actually would love to find a lovely hard copy one for a coffee table book! (And practical guide too, of course!)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  3:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Sibley Guide to Birds & love it!!!.. I usually carry 2 field guides, the Audubon for Western Birds & the Sibley... the Audubon has color photos, which are arranged by the predominant color of the bird, & I use it to narrow down my sighting, then I switch to Sibley to verify by the details of plumage, etc...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LeslieAnne - have you seen the Petersonb guide? I was just wondering if you had ever compared the two - that and the Sibley. I was talking to my mom the other day - she's a birder, too - and she loves the Sibley, also. Hmmmmm.... mother's day is coming soon, maybe it's a "bird-guide" year for me!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  8:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have the Peterson guide---but the two I use most are "Birds of the Puget Sound" by Morse,Aversa and Opperman and The Audubon field guide to the Pacific Northwest. Two reasons : they have actual pictures not drawings and they are of my area. I have about 6 books and use them all at different times. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't the ones that are made for your area great? I have to admit - the pages of my "Birds of Utah" are much more worn than the pages of the Peterson guide.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wrong about my book - it's Audubon, not Peterson's. I don't think I liked the Peterson's all that much...but then it is really nice to have a more regional reference.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't really looked at the Audubon - I'll have to check it out. I think it's a great and relatively easy combination to have a state/regional book and a bigger one both - you never know when you might come across a feathered friend wandering far from home!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Joelle
outbound

11 Posts

Joelle
Aptos CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
National Geographic's Birds of North America is a great hand guide to use. The bird pictures are next to the bird name and description. The big Sibley is phenomenal, of course, but not handy out in the field to lug around.
Go to Top of Page

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  05:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Petersons that I like for birds of prey - I like that they show you what the aerial view looks like. So many times I can't tell what a turkey buzzard looks like from a red tailed hawk.

I also have an Audubon guide - I like it because it uses actual photo's of the birds.

My Illinois bird guide is just handy - well because I live in Illinois!

I like a small bird guide that I can toss in the backpack.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page
  Birdwatching: Previous Topic Favorite "Bird Book?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000