Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Off the Grid
 Energy Efficiency Saves Money - But How Much?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid: Previous Topic Energy Efficiency Saves Money - But How Much? Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  11:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You already know that almost any investment you make to improve your energy efficiency will save you money. But how soon? What purchases pay back the fastest? Find out how much you know -- and don't know -- about the potential savings from efficiency with this Sierra Club quiz:

http://www.sierraclub.org/quiz/energyefficiency/

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Kuiu Kate
outbound

16 Posts

Bull Frog's Garden Headwater's Camp
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I flunked the quiz!
Being off the grid for so long, I know I've saved dollars for myself, and energy for the planet in general....but, I had no idea of the actual dollar amounts saved just by switching to the energy saving devices - even while on the grid.

Out there Farmgirl Sister
"May I live simply, so that others may simply live" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny, Kate! I only got one right, and that was by chance. My brain isn't really wired for calculating big, longterm savings. I just try to do what I know is right when I can, day to day!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only got one right, but I disagree with the quiz. Turning off our dryer saves us between $15-$25 a month!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got the feeling you'd have keen common sense about that stuff, Elizaray - thanks for the "real life" perspective. That's a huge savings - well worth line drying!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we do use cloth diapers, so we do run a few more loads than normal (Cloth diapers and wipes). Plus you know kids and mud! Best friends! I should just designate a "Mud outfit" for the week. Take it off in the mud room before Baby gets in the house and when it dries brush the mud off. That would probably save some loads. Hmmm. I might have to give that a try.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  5:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I should just designate a "Mud outfit" for the week.

I always think that too. Trouble is, in the summertime here, a mud outfit also ends up crawling with ticks--and nobody wants to put THAT back on!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid: Previous Topic Energy Efficiency Saves Money - But How Much? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000