Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Artists in the Outback
 The most beautiful Vistas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Artists in the Outback: Previous Topic The most beautiful Vistas Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom is an artist and I like to think that on good days I am not too shabby myself. I prefer doing photography because then I can remember a beautiful vista whereas my shabby sketching skills often don't do it justice.

Do you find the wild inspiring? Do you find yourself using a whole roll of film or filing your digital camera card? Do you find your self burning through a new sketch pad or using up all your paint? What is your outdoor vista of choice?

Jagged snow capped peaks? Regal but softer mountains? Lakes, steams, forest? Wild life? The untamed heat and beauty of the desert? Wild rolling sea or sedate but murky swamp? Rolling Savannah like grass land? Lush coastal prairie?

The mountains and prairies have always seemed like home to me. I see a soaring mountain peak and my heart skips a beat. The more dagger like and sharp the mountain, the more it takes my breath away.

Elizaray

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always loved drawing, painting, and photography - but I find myself torn when it comes to "capturing" the wild. Part of me would love to spend my days wandering wild places and recording them artistically, but the other part just wants to LIVE it. I remember going on a whale watching trip off the coast of Massachusetts when I was about 12. My mom had bought cheap little cameras for both my sis & I, and I spent the entire trip desperately trying to photograph a surfacing finback. So, my memories of the adventure are pretty much framed by the dark tunnel vision of a camera. That was a defining moment for me. I realized I didn't really experience the whales, I was just trying to get a token to take home. Hmmmmm....so I guess my ideal scenario is fully experiencing the wild world, and then coming home to record it either on canvas or in written words. But, I almost always bring my camera along

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree Jen. I've found myself getting so obsessed with "capturing the moment" that you actually lose it in the chaos. But, being an artist I must say there is something so special about drawing or painting the beautiful scene in front of you. What I try to do is just sit there a while with the view and get to know it. Share something beyond capturing the moment. Also, I try to ask permission and always give thanks. This is something I've been trying to pass on to my son. When we went on our roadtrip this summer he wanted to take a stone with him when we left and I told him to ask the river and when we picked strawberries the other day we told the strawberries Thank You and that we Loved them. I guess I just want him to know that nature doesn't belong to us and it isn't just yours for the taking. It is something to enjoy and respect even if your just "taking a picture." Any thoughts?

Traci

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  3:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traci-

I think that is a great view to have and a wonderful concept to teach to our little ones! Thank you so much for sharing! So many people think they can just take take take because we are supposedly superior and I think that is a wretched ideal to have. And look where it has gotten us, eh? Nature is so grand and immense, I always feel humbled out in the wilderness.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
outbound

15 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  04:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thistle Cove Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every day I'm blessed to see one of the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen in this old world. The Cove, where I live, is featured on the header photo on my blog and is also on the video cover of the 1995 Lassie movie. That's our farm in the background, behind Lassie and the boy. I never tired of looking around me, seeing the beauty God has placed in this little valley. Across the road, I see the darkened, burned earth of an American Native village and sometimes go over and hunt for artifacts. Photography is my "capture mode" of choice because I have no drawing or painting talent. Thank God others do and I appreciate their work.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very beautiful, Sandra!
Go to Top of Page
  Artists in the Outback: Previous Topic The most beautiful Vistas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic