Printer Friendly
Author Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic Swimming Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any other swimming fans out there? Give me a lake, a river, a reservoir- Anything! And I am a happy camper! I have even been known to swim in glacial run off streams. I must admit that one was rather...bracing but so much fun! The water was so clear! I could see all the little minnows and I had so much fun swimming with them.

I can feel all the tension melt away when I am in the water and Baby seems to like it too!

Elizaray

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too, Elizaray!! My favorite is clear, cool (not TOO cold) rivers like we have in the Ozarks, but I've dipped into icy waters many times because I just can't resist.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
outbound

25 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit LindaEllen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd take a pond, creek, lake any ol day to a public swimming pool. I can't stand the strong orders of all the chemicals. How could they be good for ya???

Sis and I swam with a wild Canadian Goose last month in our neighbors big lake. The water wasn't clear but it sure felt good on a hot summer day.

I remember when we first moved to the sticks, it was winter time and we would have to break ice on the pond for our bath water, haul it down to the cabin , heat it up on the woodstove and use a horse tank outside to bathe in. Not to bad when your in a hot tub out in the snow, its just getting from point A to point B and then back to point A : )

Well anyway we had been doing some heavy work that winter and my head was a itchin and I needed to wash it fast. Don't remember what I got into, weeds or something but I just could not wait for the water to get hot. So I broke ice in the pond and dunked my head in. Oh my gosh I felt my head was a flame, the water was so cold that it burnt. I think I could feel every hair on my noggin and thought they were going to fall off. Well they didn't and after I high taled it back to the woodstove to get warm all was well. I took the time to heat up my water after that : )

Float trips would sometimes be on spring fed streams and boy was the water cold. You didn't want your canoe to tip on those icey waters even on the hottest days.

Many times when the kids were little we would jeep ride down by the creek and play in the water. Lots of interesting finds, water creatures.

Over at our families old homestead where Mom lives is a water fall that is fun to sit under or just let your feet soak in the running stream.

Yep give me a creek , pond or lake, i'm in

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Sep 12 2008 8:13:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic Swimming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000