Printer Friendly
Author Ecopinions: Previous Topic Variant Mad Cow Disease! Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I was reading in the newsletter put out by the OCA that there is a Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease- you know... the one that is the human version of mad cow disease?

There is a new blood test that tests for this. It is estimated that one in every 4,000 people in the US is carrying this dormant vCJD! The scary thing is that it can lie dormant in our blood stream for years and could just "turn on" one day.

There is no cure, no treatment. If it "turns on" you are done.

Beef that has been always raised on pasture has no chance of carrying this disease to pass it on to the consumer. Be safe. Be careful. Protect yourself and your family.

The more pasture beef is in demand, the more it will be supplied and I know the ranchers need our support.

Elizaray

Edited by - Elizaray on Nov 09 2008 06:57:51 AM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very scary, Elizaray. One of those things I have to shut out of my brain except to make the best choices I can for my family. SHUDDER!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  05:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so scary. And the thing that makes me really mad? This is a disease that would never need to be an issue if Humans hadn't started feeding animals things they should never be eating in the first place. I wonder what ever possessed the first person to feed calves ground up bits of slaughtered cows!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  4:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. Just one of many mistakes made because of haste and greed. So much suffering could be avoided with a little forethought, you know?

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. That and a huge dose of common sense! I talked to my husband about this. I am very concerned but for the past 5 months we have not even been making ends meet, so we aren't exactly in a position to be reaching for the more expensive foods. And either way you swing it, if you don't have meat in your diet you need to replace that with some other protein and this past summer, food was darn expensive!

I plan on transitioning the family to a more organic and earth-healthy diet these next couple months as finances are getting more stable.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Ecopinions: Previous Topic Variant Mad Cow Disease! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000