mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a home business for which I design and create children's fashions. I find that I get SO much done when I'm staying at the cabin. It's a combination of the inspiration of the quiet and beauty surrounding me, and the lack of intrusion of technology. I can get up in the morning, and if I choose, work uninterrupted other than watching the wildlife, all day. It's wonderful. The construction process goes more smoothly when I'm back in civilization due to the accessibility of reliable electricity for my machines, but the design/creative process flourishes in the outpost!

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sherri, I like the fact that when we are at our cabin we are not distracted by the phone and urge to go on the computer. I know some people get nervous in case they need "help" but I find you become more self sufficient. On late summer Jim experienced hypothermia. It was too late and too remote for me to get help so I did all the things I remembered you should do and Jim was as good as new the next morning. Couldn't remember anything about the episode but I sure did! JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  5:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sherri- I know what you mean. I like to write and even draw, but I find being in a town clogs up my creativity a bit. When I am out in the wilderness camping I find that I am so inspired and perhaps it is the lack of the ever prevalent electronic noise in the back ground? They say you should turn on "white noise" such as a fan or a radio on static if you have a hard time sleeping as it makes it harder to think. Then I think about how there are fans and white noise all around us when we are "on the grid". Perhaps for some clear thinking we need to get out and unplug a bit more often!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you might be right there, Eliza Ray! There is a lot of background white noise! The sound of tires on cars driving by in the street, a tv on in the background (My husband does this all the time and it drives me nuts!), fans in rooms and even fans in our computers! I see so many people my age and younger that can't seem to take a step without their Ipod on. Yikes! Do they even know what birds sound like? Or what it sounds like when wind rushes through the tops of pine trees? Or the sound of deer walking through the forest?
Go to Top of Page
  Artists in the Outback: Previous Topic My experience Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000