Author Welcome: Previous Topic Hello from southwest Virginia Next Topic  

Thistle Cove Farm
outbound

15 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  04:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thistle Cove Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Farmgirls - not my first day but first time I may actually figure out how to post. I thought I'd introduced myself before but am not seeing my intro; SO low tech but I'm a dab hand on the farm -smile-.
Sandra, here, in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains of southwest VA on Thistle Cove Farm. It's So Very Nice to find a community of women who are of similar minds. We live in a very remote area and I don't see women until I either go to quilting bee on Thursday nights or church on Sundays. I raise rare breed and primitive Shetland and other sheep along with rare breed, hypoallergenic American Curly horses.
In the interest of full disclosure, part of this post was posted, probably incorrectly, under 'take off your boots' then I saw where women were writing intros here. Heck, by the time I get this all figured out, you'll be dropping dirt in my face. -grin- Nice to be here though, I'm truly enjoying reading about other like minded women.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha! We're not the most technically inclined group here, Sandra, but we love the company of other farm women. So, welcome!! My husband and i have entertained the notion of horses now that we have a farm of our own. No real plans to take the plunge, but we are intrigued by Curlies. Such hardy, interesting horses. I look forward to hearing more about yours. Glad you're here

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
outbound

15 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thistle Cove Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen,

thanks for the welcome. I'm sure you know horses are the optimum method of receiving all IRS tax benefits...? When one raises, breeds or sells horses, IRS states a profit must be made 2 out of every 7 years; with other animals -cattle, goats, sheep, etc.- and dirt grown or fish farms it's 2 years out of 5. With horses you're allowed an additional ...oh heck, what's it called...an additional 2 out of seven. Sorry, can't remember what it's called. Anyway, no additional time frame with food.

Those horse lobby folks are *good* -grin-.

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, that IS news to me! Thanks for the tip, Sandra...I'll hint to my hubby, who is ALL ABOUT tax benefits

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandra! Welcome to the Outpost! In about a month or maybe a bit more I will be bring my Arabian horse up from Idaho. She will be a business operation so that tax benefits will be nice! Although I must admit that I am hoping she will turn profits for me sooner than 7 years from now!!
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
outbound

15 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  5:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thistle Cove Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ummm...grin...I think, perhaps, I may not have made my point strongly enough...

that would be an additional 7 year *extension* on the original 2 out of 7 years profit...

those horse folks...they sure know how to keep a good thing going and going and going and...

www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  9:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandra- LOL Yeah I know- but I have wanted a horse since I was four years old- and I can't pass up this beauty! Check out her sire's websit at
www.hsinfinite.com
her name is Tala. Her baby pictures are on that website too- though she is a big girl of 2 now!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  10:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandra!

I have been away from the forum for a while. I do college work via the computer kind of like Alee does, and my course work sucked me under for a while. That and having a baby turn two! Oh my gosh! Alee- just wait for those two year old molars to start working their way up!

Alee- Congrats on bringing your horse up! I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time! Do you have a date yet to get her?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elizaray!

Tala won't be brought up until later this month at the earliest. I am starting to get anxious and excited at the same time!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy guacamole, Alee! Look at that sumptuously sloping face - what a beauty! Her sire in INCREDIBLE! Congratulations!!

Hey, Sandra, if you get a sec, let me know how much Curlies sell for, ballpark....thanks!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jennifer! Infinite or as we affectionatley call him "Fiz" was imported from England at about 6 months old. HIS sire was imported from Austrailia to England by Shirley Watts with the hefty price tag of 1 million dollars! So it is hoped that his son (Fiz) will live up to his sire's legacy, and that Tala will carry on the family tradition. I can't wait to see her again! It has been almost a year and she has grown so much!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Alee! "Fiz" (gotta love the name!) Is gorgeous! Look at that mane! And Tala sure is sweet! She has some gorgeous half-sibs doesn't she! It goes to show that Fiz's quality is consistent! I hope you post some pictures of Tala for us to see!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Welcome: Previous Topic Hello from southwest Virginia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000