Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Ecopinions
 Animal shelter in need of support...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Ecopinions: Previous Topic Animal shelter in need of support... Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Animal shelters (the good ones) are such important places. From a pet lover's standpoint, they help pets in need - and from a wildlife lover's standpoint, they help prevent hungry stray cats and dogs from preying on wild birds, rodents, deer, etc.

So...a Missouri shelter was brought to my attention today. I'm a native Missouri girl, and I know some of you are too. Animals are in need everywhere, but I figure this one came to me for a reason. Any little bit of love can help...

St. James animal shelter desperate for funds
By Mallory McGowin

Katrina Macey and her husband Mark were on the board at the Tri-County Humane Society a few years ago. But a recent phone call from worn-out board members sent them back to work.

"And they just said, 'we just can't do it anymore. Can you just please take it over? If not, we've got to turn it over to the city,'" says Macey.

That meant all the animals, nearly 60 dogs and cats, would be euthanized. Macey says, in her eyes, she didn't have a choice.

"Oh, I couldn't have lived with myself," Macey says. "If I would've said no, I would've been up nights wondering what happened to it."

So Macey, her husband, and a loyal group of supporters, who all have other jobs, volunteer nearly every minute of their free time at the shelter.

But, funds are tight. The City of St. James donated the building and pays the shelter's utilities, but Macey relies on donations for the rest of the essentials. Money has been so short lately, the shelter's paid staff was laid off because they couldn't make payroll.

"People don't realize how much it costs," says shelter volunteer Michele Stryker. "Having one animal at home, you see that expense. But having 60 here, some who are sick, some who are hurt, costs a lot to take care of them. And so we really just need a little bit of help."

Being a no kill shelter, some animals have been at Tri-County for over a year. Macey not only needs donations to keep this shelter alive, she wants to find these animals, and the several more that will show up in the coming weeks, great homes and families.

"These animals didn't ask to be placed here," says Macey. "So, someone has to take care of them. And I know that there are people out there that want them. I know there are."

Macey has lowered adoption costs and increased shelter hours to attract more families looking for a pet. If you are interested in volunteering or giving a donation, you can call the Tri-County Humane Society at (573) 265-7955. Or you can send a donation to: P.O. Box 525, St. James, MO 65559. The shelter is located at 745 North Springfield in St. James. Shelter hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday.

Here's a list of non-monetary supplies the shelter needs, too, from their website at http://supporttchs.com

Items Needed/Wish List

1. Canned Cat Food
2. Cat Litter
3. Bleach
4. Laundry Soap
5. Dryer Sheets
6. Dish Soap
7. Germ-X
8. Large Trash Bags
9. Small Trash Bags
10. Pinesol
11. Paper Towels
12. Collars and Leashes
13. Large Cat Dishes (one side food, one side water)
14. Cat Toys
15. Small Plastic Litter Boxes
16. 2qt Stainless Steel Food Bowls
17. Advantage
18. Frontline
19. Light Bulbs
20. 9V Batteries
21. AA Batteries
22. Push Brooms (plastic bristels
23. Dust Mops
24. Mop Bucket with Mop Wringer
25. Lysol
26. Spray Bottle
27. Mops
28. Box Fans
29. 32 Gallon Round Trash Cans
30. Basic Office Supplies (Notepads, Post-It Notes, Printer Paper, Windex, Pledge, and Clip-Boards

Please note that all of these items are recurring needs, as the shelter continues to use them.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
  Ecopinions: Previous Topic Animal shelter in need of support... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000