Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Girls - forgive a little shameless self-promotion

Tighten up your bootlaces and head out into the wilderness with a diverse and intriguing group of women whose stories run the gamut of on-the-job adventures...

A MILE IN HER BOOTS, is an unprecedented collection of creative nonfiction by women who perform a variety of outdoor occupations, from smoke jumping to biology, river running to professional falconry, horse packing to atmospheric science, and more. Some of the contributors are established authors (including MaryJane herself!), others are first timers, but all share compelling tales from the frontlines of wilderness work.

Publisher: Solas House, 2006

***AND***

Strap on your snake chaps and slap on some sunscreen as Jennifer Bové takes you out to the field in the company of biologists working in wildlife studies, botany, and resource management.

This exuberant and entertaining collection of stories ranges from Myanmar to the Midwest, from Argentina to Alaska and many points in between, offering tales that are by turns thoughtful, funny, tragic, and just-plain-crazy!
Authors include National Geographic photographer Mark W. Moffett, World Wildlife Fund Chief Scientist Eric Dinerstein, and pioneer female biologist Barbara B. DeWolfe.

Publisher: University of Utah Press, 2005

Edited by - Jen on Jul 13 2007 2:35:09 PM

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  2:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I pick the mind of the promoter?

Why did you start writing?
Is it something you've done continuously along this journey?
Would you tell if there one event that sparked this need to write?
Were you inspired by a story or an author or teacher or _________?
What is your routine?
Would you do an audio version of your book?
Between these two works do you have a favorite?

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, Ellen - pick, scrape, pry....

Why did you start writing?
You would've had to ask me pre-elementary school, 'cause I don't remember why! I often ponder the fact that writing/art seem to be rooted in a desire to share one's perceptions with others, but I never much cared to share my work - until lately, now that I have kids & real opinions & interesting experiences under my belt, now I'm learning to enjoy sharing what the world looks like from here in my boots.

Is it something you've done continuously along this journey?
continuously - can't shut up the voices in my brain that blabber ideas & prod me to put them on paper, whether or not the result is of any value

Would you tell if there one event that sparked this need to write?
I WOULD tell if there was one, but there's not. The urge to write has always been so strong - it used to drive me NUTS trying to come up with ideas. I knew I should "write what I knew," but I didn't see the beauty in the simple, ordinary experience of youth. Now that I've lived a little, I'm better at finding the extraordinary in even the most mundane occurences.

Were you inspired by a story or an author or teacher or _________?
6th grade teacher, Cathy Johnson, encouraged me to enter the National Written and Illustrated By...Contest for students sponsored by Landmark Editions in Kansas City. Didn't win it till about 6 years later, and even though it wasn't the greatest experience overall, I'm glad it happened. I felt like my book got twisted & tortured, and it was one of those "I wish my life was more exotic" ideas taht seems so insincere now. The book was published though & is still for sale on Amazon: Jambi and the Lions by Jennifer Brady.
http://www.amazon.com/Jambi-Lions-Jennifer-Brady/dp/0933849419/ref=sr_1_1/104-5255997-4305560?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185211498&sr=8-1

What is your routine?
I work for about 1-3 hours in the afternoon while my kids are napping, that's it.

Would you do an audio version of your book?
Oh yeah, but they're small potatoes, too small for the audio venue. Plus, they're anthologies. I'm hoping to write more and more of my own stuff as I get more time to work.

Between these two works do you have a favorite?
Not really, but I think Boots shows a bit more maturity in my editing.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  12:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen
well I'm not really proud of having to ask so much of the mundane stuff, tho it if it got ya to share like this, guess it worked
thanks for sharing the Jambi and the Lions link. So ya did the circle of life lion king style before disney!
Enjoyed the sample, especially your illustrations (the tree over the lion pride sure has an exotic hole in the sky..a view I likey... liked the view of your past in the author bio, and complete with your high school photo. Aww the ya haven't changed at all
such a babe!
how about a few more prying questions?

When you were growing up, was there a time when you were camping and wading the Missouri creeks or sitting in Cathy Johnson's class where ya thought about how boys had more opportunities than you were afforded?
Why are your books mostly on women?
Are there life experiences you will tell your daughters in regards to the chances of women running the country?

Did you live at home when ya went to college?

What does nature do for you?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  8:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're such a fireball, Ellen - were you a journalist in a past life?? I love the way your questions keep our discussions rollin'!
So..........

When you were growing up, was there a time when you were camping and wading the Missouri creeks or sitting in Cathy Johnson's class where ya thought about how boys had more opportunities than you were afforded? No - I never felt like I was slighted on opportunities. I guess I was a poster child for the success of the feminist movement 'cause I took all that stuff for granted.

Why are your books mostly on women?
They're not - just 1 out of 3 (one yet unpublished about wild families)...Boots was just an exploration of women busting their butts in formerly male-dominated professions that I thought might sell well because women buy books(;)]

Are there life experiences you will tell your daughters in regards to the chances of women running the country? Dunno - we discuss Hillary on occasion...

Did you live at home when ya went to college? At first, then I rented a wee yellow house about 2 miles from my mom's house & reveled in my fledgling autonomy. NEVER would have lived in a dorm - not even if I'd been paid! Too much of a hermit.

What does nature do for you?
Everything. It quiets the noise; brings me home to the divine; reminds me of the small, simple, ephemeral space I occupy. (That was, like, SO deep, I know! But it's true!)

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooo got ya going deep??

kicking off the boots and now down to the essentials of Jen?
the farmer plants
the seed falls
the writer captures the calloused hands watching the growth?

who do you see in after the weeds?
who do you see sitting in their shade?

I been wondering about authors, especially a self acknowledged hermit... do you hide the books you would be reading when say sitting in a restaurant, or on a bench waiting for the bus or on your desk at school/coffee table when friends visit?
Are you obligated by being in the writer club to any sense of duty to finish books you buy, even if they are hard to get into?
Do you read more than one at a time...the before bed book versus the morning coffee break time?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  12:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you hide the books you would be reading when say sitting in a restaurant, or on a bench waiting for the bus or on your desk at school/coffee table when friends visit? Nope - there was a time when I might have, but I'm gradually shedding self-consciousness with age & loving it

Are you obligated by being in the writer club to any sense of duty to finish books you buy, even if they are hard to get into? NOOOOOOO....I need the hook to be set within, like, 3 pages, or I bail out without regret!

Do you read more than one at a time...the before bed book versus the morning coffee break time? In those few precious my-time moments before bed

How about you???

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  1:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jen, I just ordered your books after reading about Clarence in your blog and then sending it off to my husband...... your blog is precious. thank you.

I read too many books, we're reading Following the Equator at bedtime now, and I've taken a great fascination with Margaret Murie. I cannot believe the things she did at that time in Alaska, she was a marvel.

I really love "The Passionate Observer" by Jean Henri Fabre, I would be happy to share it with someone if they promise to send it back! jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The collective, connective consciousness is an amazing thing, Jo - I just bookmarked an article on Margaret Murie in RMEF's Bugle magazine...now if I could just find a moment to read it.
I really hope you enjoy my books. They have a few good Alaska stories between them!
Thanks so much for appreciating my blog (and my beloved dog). I miss him daily and yet often still feel like he's right beside me.
Tell me more about "The Passionate Observer" when you get a chance. I rarely get a chance to read these days, so I love to hear about what others enjoy.

Edited by - Jen on Aug 22 2007 11:36:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you girls read MJ's "fishy" story in the book review section of her new Outpost book? It's an excerpt from my anthology, A Mile in Her Boots, and it is SO cute! I really enjoy reading about her experiences roughing it in the wild, wild west. She's a pioneer for sure.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  8:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it Jen..and have been meaning to order your book for some time. It will happen in the next couple weeks. I want both of them now!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jenny - hope you enjoy them!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Kuiu Kate
outbound

16 Posts

Bull Frog's Garden Headwater's Camp
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  3:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm such a bookworm.
These sound like just the sort I'd enjoy. Thanks for the heads up Jen!

Out there Farmgirl Sister
"May I live simply, so that others may simply live" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have them and I love them. Jen are you still writing one about kids in the outdoors? I think after that you should write one about seniors (I hate that word) outdoors. You could write about Cabin Creek Franny's husband Hank and my ole geezer who's going backpacking with his friend Brian to the Sawtooth Mtns. Jim turned 63 on the 13th. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm re reading your book this summer Jen, it's a good summer read...... love the story about the lost hunter. We have one of those frequently up here. Usually men, although we had a couple of lost girls last month that managed to make national headlines. I'm also trying to finish "Following the Equator" by Mark Twain, he's my camping read. Your book is an easy to pack book when there's frequent interruptions, I don't mind re reading a chapter!

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered it a few days ago..can hardly wait to read!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea! Thanks, girls. JoAnn, my "Wild with Child" book about families adventures is hanging on by a thread - still being considered by one publisher. The seniors one would probably be an easier sell! Did you see this one, reviewed in MJ's Outpost? Cute title:

We're in the Mountains -- Not Over the Hill by Susan Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/inthemountains2.html

Jen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Jen'sBooks: Mile in Her Boots & Back Road to Crazy Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000