Page: of 3

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  07:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm gearing up to build some birdhouses and stickhorses for the 1st annual Farmers' Market here in Calico Rock. Did anybody see my stickhorse in MJ's 2007 calendar?
My hubby & I used to build stone birdhouses back when we were flailing around after college. The stores that bought our houses called us "the out of work biologists." Funny now, not so funny then.
So, now we're all settled down & it's back to birdhouses!
Who else is wielding hammers & saws this spring?

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  04:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wield a machete.
Whacked a few coconuts, thinking more along the lines of orchid homes.
Could be a feeder... tho with the berry season here I do not need to lure birds closer.

Alongside of the workbench I got a stack of saplings ..that need me to find some time to weave them into an arch for the garden.

Have you ever lashed together a table or bench or plant shelves?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've made all sorts of makeshift shelves, tables, cat scratching posts, etc. My forte is gathering whatever scrap stuff I can find & using pretty pathetic tools to bang it all together in some functional fashion!
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  3:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jen,
I'm intrigued with stone bird homes. One big rock carved or little pebble constructions?

My potting table/shelf will be outdoor. I'm trying to lash with twine. Thinking of going between two trees for supports. Only *tool* is the machete, hachet, saw type. I cleared down a fence line.Consequently, I have saplings and a ton of bamboo. I'm on an island so trying to keep the outdoors gilligan like.

What scrap stuff ...like from leftover building?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a neat project, Ellen. I like your style! Anybody can be the "New Yankee Woodshop" guy with all his fancy tools, but those of us who make-do are the real artists! I've never tried lashing anything together. Since we've rented a bunch of houses in the last few years, I always seem to find some treasures wherever we move - old boards, plywood, screen, whatever. Another person's trash...
Anyway, the stone birdhouses aren't carved from stone - more like mini-masonry (concrete & pebbles).
Let me know how your shelves turn out - maybe post a photo??
What island?
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the birdhouses are where you mortar the stones together with cement?
I been mortaring bottles together for walls... part of my recycling. I do the Sanford and Son drive by for treasures too.

Ya know where the shuttle launch? That's my island!
I will get the camera out and show ya my gilligan huts.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, Ellen - are you MaryAnn or Ginger?
KIDDING!
But, seriously now, I used to to identify w/ MaryAnn (and, yeah, maybe the professor). Now in my 30s, I can see the appeal in identifying a bit with with Ms. Ginger...hee hee.
Can't wait to see your pictures!
(yes - the birdhouses are wee stones cemented together - the prettier the stones the better)

Edited by - Jen on Apr 03 2007 3:29:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  3:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen- Did you cement the stones onto a wooden bird house or do it completely masonry style? Where did you learn how to create such bird houses? It sounds like a wonderful craft!

Currently I am trying to think of some sort of border for my garden. Any ideas?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've actually done it both ways - just dreamed up the idea! I love stone cottages. Around here I see a lot of stone work (like garden / yard borders) that are just free, stacked stones - no mortar! They're really neat, but we do have bunches of flat glade rock around here, which muct be way easier to stack than round stones.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe those types of walls are called something like "dry stone" walls or some such. I have even heard of people making house foundations like that. I have also heard that it is quite an art form to make those walls and such last without using mortar. I would love to see a house sitting on a mortarless foundation made out of local stone!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  11:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I spent the afternoon yesterday cutting out pine horse heads for my stickhorses. My husband is just appalled because he is a woodworking perfectionist, and I am a happy slob! I'm using a jigsaw, and, yes, it cuts a bit unevely. The truth of it is that I have confidence I can turn a rough start into a fantastic product in the end. I told Chris if he's that worried about my craftsmanship - buy me a bandsaw! As always, he'll see things my way in the end

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
outbound

24 Posts

Eren
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintagechica's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I were swinging a hammer or something of the like. But we are moving in a few weeks, so I am just planning, planning planning for the new house. We lived in this house before, so I know the layout. Picking paint colors, carpet colors, plotting out the raised beds for the back. Dreaming about having some chickens, etc.

http://www.vintagechica.typepad.com

"A sure way to avoid housework, live outdoors"
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  2:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dreaming is sometimes even better than reality, I think. And hope is the best thing of all. Keep us posted on the dream coming true, Eren...

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did some fix-up work on our chicken house today - patching holes & cleaning out. Right now, we have one lonely hen, and I'm trying to prepare for a few more. I knew NOTHING about chickens till we inherited this one with the purchase of our farm, so I've been researching. She's a lovely black Australorp we named Penny. My dogs have tried to kill her twice while she was out free-ranging, eliciting a protective instinct in me that I never expected to feel toward a chicken. So I've decided to keep her penned up till we can establish a system (ie the kids can't let the dogs out while chickens are out). Soooo, I'm looking into getting some chicks now that the weather seems to be warming up. I think it's a great "occupation" for the kids to tend a little flock & gather eggs. In her book, Small Wonder, Barbara Kingsolver wrote an excellent essay about her daughter's chickens & how much pride, joy, and purpose a child experiences while caring for animals that help sustain the family. Good stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  7:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen-

Not to mention how much healthier home raised eggs are! I always feel so bad for the poor chickens that have to live their lives out in tiny cages. Do you know what breed of chicks you are going to get or are just going to get anything that the locals are selling?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been mulling back and forth - I like the idea of buying locally & not shipping the poor wee things from another state, but i'm not having a lot of luck finding any of the old breeds (TOO many commercial chicken operations in this region). There's a woman who raises Silver Dorkings, but she doesn't have any available right now. If I custom order, I think I'll get a Partidge Plymouth Rock, a Dominique, and maybe a Sussex. Also would like a Cochin Bantam rooster to pamper the girls & make them feel safe (and to hear a crow in the morning). All of the breeds I chose are based on docile temperment & rarity (plus, the rooster would be small enough that he wouldn't worry me quite so much with my kids). I'll let you know what I end up with!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What am I working on? Repairing the electric fence some calves busted yesterday as we were attempting to separate the herd into two bunches! No hammer required.

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 If I Had a Hammer: Previous Topic What are you working on? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000