Author Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic a family of hunters Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  08:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"This elk season, I'm wearing no camouflage except for a ball cap to hold back my hair. I probably won't stumble out of bed before light or drag into camp after dark with stories of big bulls that blew my cover. For the third year running, my family and I are roughing out a tradition of elk hunting in which I've assumed the role of scout, wrangler, camp cookie--den mother. I've waited anxiously, watching the edges of leaves turn russet and gold, for this two-week opportunity to escape to the woods together. Here, we can allow our kids the grace of wild living and nurture their love of the outdoors. Chris and I hope that by immersing them in September's rituals, we instill a profound respect for the harvest that brings meat to our table."

This is an excerpt from my new book-in-progress called Wild with Child. It sums up what hunting has come to mean to our family. My husband, an avid bowhunter, is teaching our daughters how to be woodswomen, and it's beautiful! They are learning survival skills and biological principles, and they are developing an understanding of life's precious union with death that I didn't have as a child. Even though I still don't actually kill anything, I love the primal grace of the hunt itself.
Now that we're back in midwestern whitetail country, we won't have to wander far from our own sacred ground in order to hunt. I am in awe at how this small piece of land (and our commitment to nurture it) will sustain us.

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad used to take my sisters and I hunting each fall. We didn't bring home anything as often as we did. My dad would often let us girls make the call as to whether to shoot or not. We tried to be responsible and not shoot any does that had young fawns still at their sides.

The first time my dad and I went hunting as "just us" we shot a two year old buck. It was exciting and awe inspiring and a touch sad as well. We took the life of this animal but used it for our nourishment. I still have the hide of that deer. I am hoping to be able to start hunting again in the next year or so. I want my daughter to grow up knowing what wild meat tastes like and how all meat ends up on our tables.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for adding your thoughts, Elizaray. I think, as women, we are especially aware of the sadness and beauty of hunting. Some of us can't see the beauty, which I think is a shame, because it is a primal action that connects us to our wild heritage. The sadness, it seems, is obvious. And an immoral hunter should be jailed as far as I'm concerned (lots of gray area there, though, I suppose). I hope that other forum members will join the "Hunter's Camp" even if they don't hunt (I have never hunted anything with the intention to kill it). There are many opinions here, much sensitivity, and a great deal we can learn from eachother.
Keep us posted on your hunting aspirations, Elizaray!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, one of the most dispicable things man can do is "trophy hunt". Killing the biggest most vibrant animal just so you can claim to be the best hunter is murder in my opinion.

To me hunting is an issue of stewardship and provisioning. When I or my family hunts, we hunt for food. We respect the animals that we are hunting and as part of a responsible attitude, we do not go after the most prime animals.

If we humans always hunt the most prime animals of the herd, we are doing a huge dis-service to the animals. By killing off the prime animals we are weakening the species as a whole.

If we model our hunting behavior after natural predators, however, we should only hunt the weak who are vunerable already and can be a burden to the herd. The only thing that I don't model after natural predators is going after the young. :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  7:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do believe that if we choose to eat meat, we have a responsibility for understanding where it comes from and what it takes to bring it to the table. I grew up in a hunting family as well, and I think there's a lot to learn about ecology and morality from responsible hunting practices.

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Sarah! Responsible huntsmanship not only teaches a respect for the animal but also for the land that sustains us.

However I understand that hunting is not for every person and I respect those who are anti-hunting as well. It is a complicated matter that has many different sides to consider. I also greatly respect those people who manage to live a vegitarian and/or Vegan lifestyle. I don't have the dedication to eat that kind of menu. Meat is such an easy way to plan a meal around. I think vegitarian and vegan cooks must have a more productive culinary imagination than average.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  8:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
trophy hunting...... hmm.. people pay alot of money to come from out of state and take the biggest toughest, rottenest piece of meat out there. You learn alot from watching the subsistence people here. Quality of meat is much more important than an old rack and meat..... We hunt caribou, we would like to hunt moose but it's a little more difficult.

I love to ptarmigan hunt, the bird is good to eat, but it is a bonding/working experience with my dogs to be outdoors, smell the fall berries, listen to the quiet of the wilderness. It takes hours of walking to find ptarmigan, but it is pristine in the wilderness, it clears my head before the snows settle in, it is a very sentimental time of year. I like carrying my shotgun and feeling self sufficient, very empowering.

jo
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is my sis & the whitetail buck she shot last year (in Missouri). She just started hunting a few years ago. Artemis, indeed!

Jen

Edited by - Jen on Sep 18 2007 12:46:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my hub & daughters celebrating the buck Chris killed on our own land the other morning - a dream come true for him, and a step closer to self-sustainability. We had him processed & in the freezer by noon (much quicker than an elk!). Left the carcass for the coyotes & crows.
What a blessing for all!

Edited by - Jen on Nov 14 2007 6:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  5:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My husband's brother stayed with us over Thanksgiving, so the 2 of them enjoyed some brotherly bonding time, and I tagged along some. I also practiced shooting a .30-30 which was fun. My shots all fell within a grapefruit-sized area just left of the bullseye - yea! It's such a pleasure to be in the company of skilled, ethical hunters. Now we've got a second deer in the freezer, heading into winter fat & sassy.

Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  07:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went Goose hunting at Thanksgiving time. I went to my daughters in Eastern Wa. and spent a few days there. They live on a huge ranch that has been in his family for several generations. It is a wonderful place where they raise their beef naturally and do all the work by horseback. It is cool! So...My daughter her husband, father-in-law and 2 grandkids (2 dogs too) went out in the 15 degree weather and in no time got 6 Geese. My son in law smoked and teriyakied them and everybody liked them. Here is Razor telling the goose not to move. And some good looking meat, feathers and all.

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  07:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow those pics are huge. Must work on my skills ha. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh - so that's why you were in Ritzville! Ignore my question in the "Outdoor Photography" forum

GREAT pics! If you want them smaller, just size them down on the computer first (I open mine in MS Paint & decrease to about 20% of the original size). The only reason I really care about the size of mine is that I have dial-up internet out here in the sticks, and big pics take FOREVER to load.

I didn't know you're a goose hunter - impressive! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

P.S. Razor resembles my dog Frank, except that Frank's a Bull Terrier mix. Here is is attacking his "big brother" Buddy. All in good fun, but he looks like a Tazmaninan devil doesn't he?!

Go to Top of Page
  Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic a family of hunters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000