Author Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic Turkey Time Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost time for spring turkey season here in Arkansas. My friend Jill Easton is an AVID turkey hunter. She's also a great writer and strives to teach others the secrets of her success. Check out a couple of her articles online:

HUNTING WARY GOBBLERS ON PUBLIC LAND by Jill J. Easton
"There are things each turkey hunter, from the greenest newcomer to the most seasoned pro, can do to increase their success. Simple commonsense tricks can put a gobbler into your freezer, or at least provide some great hunting experiences." Read the rest at
http://www.discovertheoutdoors.com/hunting/article.jsp?articleid=562

TURKEY TIME IN MISSISSIPPI by Jill J. Easton
"Beneath the roost tree, which was a few hundred yards down at a break between two fields, a pile of fresh gobbler droppings was the tipoff that mature birds favored the site. Three patriarchs, which we dubbed the Triple Toms, were often seen out strutting in the nearby openings when we glassed from the road. Hens and other subordinate birds came and went, but the longbeards were as sure as sunrise." Read the rest at http://www.missourigameandfish.com/hunting/turkey-hunting/MS_030502/

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to hunt wild turkeys! They are gorgeous birds, and what a meal. I watched a program on the outdoor network about hunting them, quite a deal for calling them. There are no turkeys in Alaska except for the kind that drive fast. We hunt ptarmigan and grouse which are plentifiul. jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have five turkeys currently roaming around my deck. Sometimes they roost on the railings like chickens. They will be on the deck with the cat and the dog(before she died) within inches of each other! They also stand on the deck box and look into the living room and have been known to tap on the window as if saying "hey, I'm hungry here throw some seed out : )"They do tend to leave a mess though. It's really fun in the spring when they bring their babies around.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just heard a feisty guy gobbling at the thunder outside! Would love it if they'd get so bold as your neighbors, JoAnn. I do have a rooster that knocks on the door...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No turkey dinner at our house just yet, but haven't heard from my husband since he went out this morning before work.

Over on the Farmgirl Connection forum, Jennifer "Peanut" posted the following: "My husband and girls really enjoy turkey hunting (well, if my oldest feels like waking up!). He harvested a gobbler last week... check it out on my blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/"

Great pics - and check out how she prepared the meat - YUM!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Jen - any turkey in the works?

Yeah - "Peanut" is awesome! She and her family have a great farm and do all these cool outdoors things - Doesn't that turkey just sound DELICIOUS!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Edited by - Libbie on Apr 29 2008 07:08:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  08:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I love turkey! Yum! And especially wild turkey- it sure makes you look at the gigantic turkeys in the store a bit askance doesn't it!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
outthinking

1 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  09:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peanut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone!

The turkey was really delicious. Here's what I did:

Marinate turkey breast in enough pineapple juice to cover breast and choice of seasoning (I used a poultry seasoning from Spice Hunters and marinated for about 8 hours). Cut turkey into chunks and wrap bacon slices around each chunk, securing with a toothpick. Grill for about 10-15 minutes (your grill time may vary).

A gobbler was strutting right at our backdoor yesterday - coulda had another one!

http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds delicious. We may have to get one. They are on our deck all the time. Probably could open the window and shoot one from the couch: ) This part of Washington is known for the vast number of turkeys. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, JoAnn, you really should. Chris hasn't gotten one yet this spring. The hen he shot last fall was delicious pan-fried, though.

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic Turkey Time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000