Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  4:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dream of building a cozy garden shack w/ lots of windows in our back field where I can paint and read & escape the bustle of mom-hood. How about you?

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just like a greenhouse to grow most of our food year round. I would love to attach it off the house and use the heat to heat the house. I would love to build something with big windows, almost hexagonal.

I also want a wrap around porch to put the old rocker on and enjoy life, minute by minute.
Go to Top of Page

Birdi
outthinking

5 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the farm being on a self-sustaining mission...most everything is built with a purpose. I felt that I needed somewhere to just relax and reflect on lifes beauty. I have plans for a pond, weeping willow tree, perennial garden of flowers, a bench arbor of some type, nestled in the trees.

~simple pleasures make my heart smile~
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
outbound

24 Posts

Eren
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  6:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintagechica's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, that all sounds heavenly. We are moving to VA in a few months and I am taking notes so that I can get to planning the back yard there as soon as we get there!!!

http://www.vintagechica.typepad.com

"A sure way to avoid housework, live outdoors"
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of that sounds lovely! The only get-a-way that I have is my family's cabin. Many years ago when I was still in High School I took the first week of summer vacation and went to live there for a week all alone. No technology, no phone, no friends. Just me and my thoughts. I think I took my dog as well. :)

Granted our cabin does have electricity, but no running water. I hauled my water from a artisian well about 5 miles away (big buckets in the back of my dad's GMC Jimmy)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  3:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We lived off the grid for a year on the island wildlife refuge in WA. We used a generator for electricity, which was mostly frivolous since we had propane lights & appliances. We have a propane tank here at our farm for heat, but we mostly used the woodstove instead. I've heard not-so-good things about interior air quality with propane (but that's obviously true of wood burning, too).
What will (do?) you use for electricity, Birdi? I'd hate to burn gasoline all the time for financial & ecological reasons, but I can see having a generator for backup....
Go to Top of Page

Birdi
outthinking

5 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are quite a few avenues to the solution of electricity...I will post thoughts and ideas in off the grid.

~simple pleasures make my heart smile~
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  7:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the thought of a garden hideaway....I have the perfect spot for one that I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years. At a previous house I hade a large faerie garden and that is what I started at this house but....I am going to do something different and have a hideaway. It is close to the house but 3 sides will be a mix of flower garden and some veggies thrown in. One side will be open to go down to the pond and pastures. A grass circle for small table a 2 chairs. It is very private yes accessable to get back in the house if I am needed. I am 24/7 caregiver to my husband who had a stroke 4 years ago. I am gearing up for doing this mainly since I can't do anything else. I am homebound for awhile. Life moves us in different directions all the time and we just have to go with the flow. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  09:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marybeth-

That sounds great. Are you going to have walls or just a place to sit amongst the flowers and veggies? What type of flowers do you plant for your faerie garden? I like to plant flowers that attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and honey bees

Elizaray

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On one side are tall arborvitae and one wall is the garage and the third wall is part of the house. All tall all making this a hidaway. the opening is a small garden part with an arbor and a pathway down to the pond and pastures. So it will be secluded to me and away from the road, which is a private dirt road so not any traffic to speak of. Right now the arborvitae side is where I do my potting of plants and keep a tub of soil and apotting table my son-in-law made for me. The other two sides have Lavatera, Sweet woodruff A climbing rose daffodils Knautia and i will fill it with annuals too.There is more. By the pathway to the pond are the steps going up to the house. I almost forgot them I was so immershed (is that a word?) in my solitude. As you can see I have thought about this for a long time. I have a small table and 2 chairs that are down by the pond that I will bring up. I will have pots of tomatoes and bowls of lettuce and salad type veggies. I love making salad bowls. Recipe: 1 patio tomato, 1 pepper plant, several types of lettuce, a few violas and you have instant salad. My mind is rolling now. I am thinking of more and more. I'd better quit while I can. Marybeth

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds wonderful Marybeth! I hope you post pictures when you have it all put together! I really envy your ability to do this! I can’t do much with my yard since I rent

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elizaray. I just went out and took some before pictures, so by summertime I should have some after pictures to post. I'm actually getting excited about this. Thanks for the boost. Marybeth

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second Elizaray's encouragement, MB. Life certainly does lead us around some blind curves, and if you can make a secret garden spot along the way, you're living with true grace. I applaud your motivation to dream up something wonderful, a place where you can find a moment's peace. Please keep us posted on the progress!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marybeth-

I have been sitting here all afternoon thinking about your garden get-away. Your ideas have really inspired me to try and find a way to at least get something set up in my backyard where I can take my little one and enjoy my morning cup of tea. Hmm, maybe I can get a flowing vine to climb the neighbor’s fence and put some lawn furniture there.

Will you post your before pictures? Or are you going to wait until you have both before and after?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Clare
outbound

16 Posts

N..C. Washington
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  6:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a "cheap" canopy set up in my back yard last year and I loved it. I personalized it, created some walls, etc. Had a table and chairs and a camping sleeping cot in there, along with a lantern. By the end of the season, that tarp thing was in shreds, though. I loved sitting out there and was more inclined to be outdoors with my "room" there, rather than just sitting in a lawn chair. I loved to read and rest there. Just very peaceful, even though my yard is not completely private. I put in in the most private part.

I just purchased a "screened canopy" and am anxious to get it set up, although it's way too early for much sitting outside here yet. I have some tab curtains that I got at GW that I'm going to make retractable "walls" with inside the screen, and of course, add my other "necessities". I'm hoping the screens will be cat proof, as the neighbors cats love to roam, and I don't want a bunch of extra cat hair on things. My cat will provide enough! When I get it all accomplished, I'll share photos later on.

I highly recommend having an outdoor retreat, however you can manage it and whatever you are comfortable with.
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  6:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The canopy sounds like a great idea, Clare, maybe better than just a chair.

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  7:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing's better than being able to have a little shade in your get-a-way!

Elizaray

Edited by - Elizaray on Apr 15 2007 7:54:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost of Your Own: Previous Topic garden hideaway Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000