Author Ticks, Chiggers, Nettles, and Ivy: Previous Topic Skeeters! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ellen asked:
Was there ever a place that you still define by the skeeters chasing you?

So, YES, there are a few for me. I remember shooting off fireworks along the Missouri River as a kid, getting CHOWED by mosquitos....so many itchy welts the next day, but at least there wasn't the whole West Nile scare stuff going on.

Then, I also remember being pregnant (with #1) and elk hunting with my husband in the Washington Cascades in September. Even though it was pretty hot in the evening, I took a brown blanket with me & huddled in my own little "tent" to keep the skeeters at bay.

Good times...

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
alaska, they'll fly miles to eat me. I'm a mosquito magnet, and I welt up, what a drag. jo
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jo
I'd not think alaska wow...is there a time/what months do they come out of their hibernation? do you use any protection?
long sleeves? bat houses?
i am trying the power of citronella and seeded Pelargonium citrosum and lemonbalms to help miminize the attacks around my hammock and our patio. I use herbalarmour when fishing. we live on mosquito lagoon.
jen,
we have skeeter scares here mostly re: encephalitis leading to menginitis...
....yeah hunting isn't the time ya want to be making noise with the smack downs.
i've noticed we have these skeeters now that have wings like fighter jets.

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  09:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have big slow ones that come out in early June, by August they're small and fast/eat me alive................ I wear bug suits in the bush, hot and ugly

nice attractive pic here

jo
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  12:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo it must be the pink flip flops ....this lil piggie went to market
this lil piggie stayed to home this lil piggie provided the roast beast dinner and this lil piggie itched all the way home
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jo - you look so darn cute, hilarious, and MISERABLE! I'd definitely opt for the suit over the bites, too.

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was miserable! If you only knew how many there were. I was running to the outhouse when my husband took this picture. My back end was covered with bites from them for just the uncovering of a quick outhouse stop!!

There weren't bad when you were out on the water. I had waders on so they couldn't eat my feet then..... This was on the nushagak river in southwestern alaska, the caribou looked pathetic from fighting them. jo
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Other species' will/perseverance amazes me, you know? Whether it's birth or mosquitos or frigid cold, they just keep going till they drop. We humans are so soft....

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I always wonder exactly where the mosquito fits into the food chain. Would the world really be that bad off with out them?!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  12:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with the ability to adapt for over a 100million years and to evolve into 3000 species we better just make homes for their predators
do any of ya have bat houses?

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes! we want to make one....here's a link: http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=47

Go to Top of Page

CountryintheBurbs
outbound

12 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My neighbor has 3 in his trees next door. Last year we only have a few bats, but this year we have a dozen or more! One thunked me in the back of the head a week ago while I was sitting around the campfire! lol. I like watching them fly around though. Very cool - and they eat them darned skeeters!

Farmgirl Sisterhood member #152
Go to Top of Page
  Ticks, Chiggers, Nettles, and Ivy: Previous Topic Skeeters! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000