Printer Friendly
Author Ticks, Chiggers, Nettles, and Ivy: Previous Topic Chiggers Next Topic  

Karen
outthinking

3 Posts

Karen

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the world of chiggers, and I am not a fan. Does anyone recommend a good remedy for the itchy "bites" ( I heard they actually burrow under the skin) but it kind of creeps me out to think of that too long.

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  2:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back when I was I fresh fisheries tech, the guys I worked with scratched their bites bloody & poured straight Clorox onto them, can you believe it??? And I actually heard an old Arkansan suggest a bit of bleach in bathwater. While that may, indeed, work, I wouldn't try it. To keep them away, I've found a natural spray called BuzzAway to be effective so far. To kill the itch, baking soda baths or paste smeared on the bites. This works, but the paste dries up & falls off, so the itch comes back.
Found this tip online - let me know if anybody tries it:
"Rub the flesh of a green papaya on the bites. This stings quite a bit at first, but then takes the itch away for at least a couple of hours. (There is an enzyme in green papaya that dissolves the protein mosquitoes leave behind in their bites.) Source: "http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/bugbites.html

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  9:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this seems like good site:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
outthinking

7 Posts

Luna
Rineyville Kentucky
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit LunaTheFarmLady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well,I'm officially outposted....I have a horrrible case of the chiggers after trekking through some deer trails and open fields. I found the blackberries and the chiggers found me!

whereever you go, there you are...
Go to Top of Page
  Ticks, Chiggers, Nettles, and Ivy: Previous Topic Chiggers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000