Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Adventures Abroad
 We're back from our trip...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic We're back from our trip... Next Topic  

hikinmama
outthinking

5 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Well, we're back from our trip safe and sound. We went for a week to do some hiking in North Carolina. My family (hubby, myself, and 3 children under 12) hiked 12 miles in a week. Our longest hike was a day hike of 5 miles on a mountain. The scenery was fab-u-lus! The children did great. We had lots of jerky (very small amounts at a time, but eating something constantly), fruit leathers (not fruit roll-ups, real smushed and dried fruit), water (we even refilled our bottles from the icicles that we broke off of the side of rocks)...it was an amazing week.

I have to share...I have never been good at peeing in the woods. That said...I had a WONDERFUL experience doing just that! First, I tried the 2 log method (you know, sitting on one, feet propped up on the other)...worked like a charm. The next day I tried method #2 which is sitting in an invisible chair with your back on a tree. I gotta tell ya I felt like a million bucks when I finished DRY! It was truely a highlight of the week. Then there was day 3...(sigh)...I tried method 2 again behind a huge tree stump, finished, and started back on the trail...then I felt it...a splinter..."Oh Honey...Do you think you could look at something for me?" "Children, go wait for mama and dad just up the trail a bit, but stick together." ~FLASH~ Hubby begins laughing. Not funny. Out comes his pocket knife, and I became his canvas. You know, it was then that I realized that we would be together forever! I'm not letting that story get to far.

The last day of our trip we went to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, my favorite place on earth. It was so beautiful. And on the way back home we went to Foxfire in North Georgia, my second favorite place.

We took the boys to a rainbow trout farm where they caught our dinner. We took my daughter to her first tea house. It was all so wonderful. It was a great week.

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #151

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jen - what an amazing week!!! I am still wiping tears from laughing at your triumphant (if prickly) pee story. I love those marriage-binding moments. You go, girl! And your kids sound like troopers. Bet they were so proud to catch dinner for the family.

Question (for Jen & everybody else) - what's the longest drive you would take (or have taken) to a vacation destination with your kids? We're itching to get back west this summer, but 12+ hours in the car just doesn't seem worth it with a 7, 5, and 2 year old.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  10:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen!

Here is another method- Squat and aim backwards with feet widespread- hold onto a tree in front in needed for balance! No splinters in tushies! Although your hubby sounds like a sweetie. Although I probably would have sweated when I saw the knife come out!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh - there are times when I wouldn't have just sweated to see my husband coming at me with a knife - I would have RUN!!! All that aside, I use the squat and backward aim method, myself, and hope to high heaven that nobody's watching!!!

One time when my mom and her sisters were driving down to our little valley, two out of the three of them just COULD NOT wait until the next gas station. They had on dresses, and just went out into a field, twirled around until their skirts spun out around them, then squatted down. Voila! Long full skirt becomes portable outhouse! They looked like big colorful flowers in the field, to boot!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Libbie- That is awesome! I remember many a time using a vehicle as "cover" along side the road as a child. Eh. I am sure it was good to get some sunshine on my tushie- right?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh - just recently (ahem...should I be admitting this?) I had to pull over for an emergency "go" off a really (I thought) rural off-ramp. I didn't even bother opening the car doors like you say for "cover," I just had to go too badly. So then I look up, and who should be driving down the dirt road RIGHT TOWARD ME?!?!?! A Department of Transportation truck loaded to the gills with workers. I didn't even have time to get put back together. What's a farmgirl to do? Why, smile and wave, of course! I was SOOOOooooo embarassed!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh Libbie! That SOOO sounds like something I would do! But I would much rather "water the wildflowers" than stop at a rest stop. Rest stops creep me out and at least if I stop to water the wildflowers I can pick a place that I can see the road- and anybody who is coming/trying to stop. I have gotten pretty skittish about avoidable safety risks since having a baby. Especially if Baby is in the car with me.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is SO DARN FUNNY, Libbie. I did the same thing once along the side of I-84 on the Oregon side of the Columbia River, just east of The Dalles. I just couldn't hold it! Of course, I was all alone, so I had no choice but to pull over and scurry down the roadside slope a bit, hoping nobody would pull over & pester me. I guarantee somebody spotted me, at least from a distance, but when you gotta go, you gotta GO!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic We're back from our trip... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000