Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Coming Home to the Land
 smoked king salmon *Pics updated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic smoked king salmon *Pics updated Next Topic  

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sooooooo......... husband Paul smokes 88# of king salmon on Saturday, the labs watched intensely, oooooh salmon, love the belly strips. We left them all out on the counter over night to equilibrate before vac packing and freezing. the strands of drool on Sophie my oldest lab nearly reached the floor.

Flash forward, 3 am. The wind blew my bedroom door open, I rise, walk into the kitchen, Sophie standing on the counter with a piece of salmon hanging out of her mouth.

one lab, 5 # of salmon gone. She was hungry the next morning.

Put the salmon out of reach next time dummy.

Here's the result.....

with the dog.....

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html

Edited by - blueberries in alaska on Jul 04 2008 11:42:51 AM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
5 POUNDS! Not a huge loss out of 88, but still! That's one full dog belly!

What kind of smoker do you guys use, Jo?

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a big charcoal/smoker, a large box on the side. We kipper our fish, a slow dry warm smoke. We don't add any flavorings, we like the fish flavor to stand alone. The kippering requires that we saline bath for about 20 minutes or so (Paul measures with a salinometer so the brine is a correct mixture) don't know if I spelled that right! Then we cool/dry the fish in the smoker so that when we add the smoke and heat it takes the smoke well.

Paul does the smoking, it takes hours but our fish is incredible. King salmon has such a nice oil content the fish stays very moist. Our reds have a very different texture/flavor.

jo

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds so good. Some friends of ours in WA smoke salmon and shad, which are non-native fish that run the Columbia River. Most people think they're too bony to bother with eating, but when they're smoked and canned whole (bones and all) they are fantastic.

My parents are going to smoke some rainbow trout for the 4th of July, and if they're good, we've got a whole new reason to catch trout!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, the smell of smoked salmon! I think I even had to wipe some drool from my mouth! We just finished smoking about 20# and I have a really amazing smoked salmon dip recipe if anyone is interested. Not that it isn't totally mouth watering by itself but with 88#....oops I mean 83#...Jo, you might want to get creative!

Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The experimental smoked trout my stepdad made was fantastic. I'm sold - we have a whole new reason to go fishing!

(PS - Jo, does Sophie drool often? The blue heeler I "rescued" recently has a tendency to drool when she's hungry or stressed at all...but I thought it was because she was missing her molars on one side of her mouth. Maybe some dogs are just droolers - even those who don't have giant jowls! Great photos!!)

Jen

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sophie drools constantly when something good is cooking. She is so food oriented! Our little lab Bella isn't nearly as goofy about food.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dogs are funny, funny people.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think some dogs are just droolers more than others. I had a basset named Daisy, who could drool a puddle just watching a kid eat a cracker. Since I did daycare at the time she did alot of drooling! My three dogs now rarely drool..two of them are bassets too.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Kate is missing upper molars on the side she usually drools from, so I think that may be a factor. Not sure what happened to her - she also has old scarring on her face. Gunshot? Car? Boot? Hard to say. I took her to the vet to have her spayed yesterday, and she had the entire staff cowering by the time I picked her up. She is so quiet & gentle, but she was terrified & determined not to go down without a fight! The vet asked me to go back and get her from her cage, joking that he'd stitch me up if needed. But she was so glad to see me; she just wagged and let me pick her up. Poor girl is recovering but will likely never want to get in the car again!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww! Poor Kate! It's so hard on the dogs that have had a rough life. They just don't understand. Luckily spaying her reduces a lot common cancer risks and of course- no more puppies. I am sure she will bloom and become trusting again in the care of your sweet family, Jen. I bet the kids love her!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that Elizaray! It's so sad that dogs go through so much and are often the victims of humans emotional problems. To make it worse, they can't express it and tell you just what they went through or what they need. That's why it takes people like you Jen to show them that it's all about the love. I'd like to think that resilience has no boundaries.

Traci
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic smoked king salmon *Pics updated Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000