Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic How is the Harvest? Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I have gotten only a few handfuls of strawberries from my garden and one eggplant. It has been a bad year for gardening, but in all fairness I did start late! How is your garden doing?

Elizaray

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been an odd year here. I feel for the big farmers (we just have 15 acres in crop, more of a hobby farm than a livelihood). This year the harvest is so late that most of the workers have gone back to school and so aren't available to drive trucks loaded with grain. Everyone is scrambling to get it done. Also, the kids didn't earn what they expected to help with college expenses. Kind of a snowball effect on the local economy. We've even taken measures at the high school to be extra understanding if kids miss the first part of school to help get the harvest in. Up at 4 am, then not home until dark (7 pm right now). How on earth are they going to squeeze in school? A bit of understanding goes a long, long way. Poor tired dears. There will be time when the harvest is done to rest and catch up. As for my little home garden, well, not a good year. But it's okay, instead of canning or freezing so much I've got extra time to plan and get ready for next year. My tomatoes are still small and green. Who knows, maybe it will be a gentle fall?

Edited by - HuckleberryWine on Aug 31 2008 09:35:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  2:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great that your school system is so understanding Michelle. Often times farms are very dependent on their sons and daughters!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true, and our school is dependent on thier sons and daughters too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michelle- That is true too! So is school going to start later or are the teachers going at a slower pace? How does that work?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We usually start later than other schools so that kids can show at the fair. But this year it worked out that we started and just had 1/2 days during the fair so kids didn't miss too much school. As to harvest, I had one student who missed about 5 days while he worked on it. I just excused him from all school work during the time, and I'm spending a bit of extra class time explaining with him so he catches right up to everyone else. Working out great for everyone so far. :)

So, I didn't slack the pace, we started as planned, and no one is falling behind. I guess it works because we're small and we are determined to make it work. :) (There must be luck involved too, because I know everyone does their best and sometimes it doesn't work out anyway). The down side is that with the economy the way it is, we have lost a lot of students who used to commute. Lots of homes for sale in town now. We were small to begin with, and now we're shrinking. Scary. Hard to offer as many choices, don't want to lose staff, it becomes a terrible circle as we loose kids, if we lose too many kids, then it will be teachers, programs... We're all staying optimistic at this point that it will turn around, hopeful folks will move to town. We are a National Blue Ribbon school (2006-2007)...we're really good, but it doesn't matter if our classes are empty. Our administrators are working hard to find a "staying open" solution (applying for all sorts of grants). I have to trust and hope they will find one.
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic How is the Harvest? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000