Tracey Tiret
outthinking

1 Posts

tracey
Portland OR
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm the chapter leader of SW Portland Farmgirls, and I want to hear from my sisters about their urban homesteads. For those of us who like milking out our goat and then going to The Orchestra. We dig our dirt and then put on our flamenco skirts. Fill our cars with homemade fuel, while dreaming off-the-grid. I can hear my hens over the freeway and balance seems restored. My children think our nigerian dwarf wether like "the family dog." Lets share insights, experiences, and tips of the trade.

"Either pay the farmer or pay the doctor."

mikesgirl
outbound

37 Posts

Sherri
Elma Washington
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Portland allows goats and chickens? Wow, that's great!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  7:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tracey-

What a great topic!

I really want to have chickens here in our little rental property. We live in a small town in Wyoming and are on the outskirts of town. Our landlords are awesome but I want them to get to know us a bit more before I start asking for something that might seem a bit radical to them.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  7:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also forgot to mention that we are rebuilding our greenhouse this year in a new and better location, and that we are also expanding our garden.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  04:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I don't have any farm animals I do consider myself an urban homesteader. Slowly turning every available spot in my yard into a food plot. I do enjoy traveling into the city. Don't know if I could give that up. I did go to the opera the other night and love taking my girls to museums and down to the lakefront.

Being raised in the city by a Mom who was raised in the hills of West Virginia gives you a different perspective on city living I think. You tend to look for nature instead of buildings and concrete.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can sympathize with the slowly part about transforming the yard! IT seems to take forever, doesn't it? We are fighting that horrible bindweed stuff! Tht reminds me... I need to see if our extension agent can get some of those mites that kill it...

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Urban homesteaders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000