Printer Friendly
Author Welcome: Previous Topic Outdoors Life Next Topic  

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone-

I wanted to sort of reintroduce myself. I have been around the MaryJanesFarm forums for years and love the vivacious love of life that everyone brings to the table. From crafting to camping- it's an awesome place to meet and learn from other people!

From an early age I can remember hunting and camping with my parents. My dad taught me how to put a worm on a hook and catch a fish. The first day that I outfished my dad was an amazing day! Hiking and even repelling from the cliffs were things that I got to experience as a child.

My mom was heavily involved in the historical aspects of our communities. I got to go on fossil hunts (I even have a fossil in the Smithsonian!), see pit traps that ancient native people used for hunting, and watch an escavation of a hunting camp.

When I was about four years old, my parents were able to secure two lots in a rustic subdivision at the base of the Big Horn Mountains. Over the next 10 years, we hand built a small log cabin on that property- literally carrying the logs one by one up to the site from the road about 100 yards away. I can't say I learned much about construction during the process- but I did learn that we can do some amazing things if we put our minds to it!

So about me? I love cooking and crafting but even more than that- I love being outside. I love exploring a new trail, the sense of wonder at seeing a vista that you have never seen before. That connection that just zings through you when you realize that you are part of nature and yet just such a small insignificant part of it as well.

I love waking up to the smell of crisp mountain air after having slept next to running water all night.

Life has side tracked me from my passion for MUCH too long and I am dying for a chance to really get out and experience nature again with the eyes of a child.

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  05:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Alee! How cool about the fossil!

I too, have been a camper all my life. We have pictures of me as a toddler in a tent with my family. My Grandmother was truly an outdoors woman. She would take all 4 of her boys out camping on her own. My Dad says that on their way home from camping, they'd have to stop at a nearby forest preserve before heading back into Chicago. There, they'd have a picnic next to the river and do some last minute fishing before going back to city life. I spent many a summer camping with my grandparents. Fishing with my Dad & Uncles. Love to hike as well!

We've always camped with our girls too. They're now 13 & 10. We started when they were infants. They too have developed a love for the outdoors. When so many of their friends are talking about disney vacations - our girls talk of houseboating in the boundary waters in Minnesota, gem mining in North Carolina or just campfires and frog catching at a State Park close to home.

I love giving my girls these memories as I have many of them myself. We're headed out camping soon. We'll most likely be the only ones there for most of the time. We look forward to canoeing, fishing and just enjoying nature!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need to get my fishing license for this year and take Nora out on a camping trip She would have so much fun and it would be nice to let her just really enjoy running around outside :) She is definitly my dirt and rocks girl! She loves to take her shoes off at the barn and run around the sandy arena neighing like a horse. It's hilarious. I am so glad that she loves running, jumping and climbing.
Go to Top of Page
  Welcome: Previous Topic Outdoors Life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000