Page: of 4

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Dispatch at MaryJane's Outpost! The Outpost is a gathering place for all of us who, in our remote corners of the globe, are seeking the company of like minds.

As you trek down through the list of forums, you'll get a good sense of what goes on around here. Whether you're looking to swap trade secrets or stories from your frontier, you're invited to pull up a seat at the campfire. Sit back and listen awhile, or dive right in and speak your mind. Either way, you're among friends.

I'll be your moderator here at the Dispatch, so let me tell you a bit about my background. I bushwacked, snorkeled, and wrangled wildlife for 5 years as a field biologist before heading into the uncharted territory of fulltime motherhood. These days, I spend most of my time raising 3 kids (Rita-7, Sophie-5, Sam-almost 2) and freelance writing. Once in a while, I even get a chance to slip back into the woods.

My family and I have covered a lot of ground in the past six years, moving cross-country 4 times. In 2006, we returned from Washington State to our Midwestern homeland and bought 25 acres of lovely possibility in the backwoods of Izard County, Arkansas. We've got dogs, cats, and even a couple of chickens who are teaching me the unexpected joys of free-range fowl. We're nurturing fledgling fruit trees and berry bushes on love and luck ('cause we know next to nothing about organic orcharding).

I stumbled upon MaryJane's magazine (the Shoulder to the Wheel issue, as I recall) a few years ago while I was collecting stories for a book about women working in the wilderness. Immediately I knew I had to track this woman down. You see, before MJ's farmgirl days, she was one of the first female backcountry rangers for the US Forest Service, and she knows how to spin a yarn with the best. Long story short, after spending a couple of nights around MJ's campfire, it was clear that we were kindred spirits. Her funny fishing tale "Caught for Sure" appears in my anthology, A Mile in Her Boots. And now here I am, manning (womanning?) the Outpost!

Stop in for a visit - I look forward to getting to know you.

Jen Bové

PS - here's a link to my blog too:
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota[/brown][/center]

Edited by - Jen on Apr 24 2008 12:10:52 PM

Meg
Moderator/MaryJane's Farmgirl

11 Posts

Meg

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen!

I have so been looking forward to chatting with you and all those 'out there' gals! Well, I'm off to mingle...hope you and your little ones are fabulous!

hugs and smooches,

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to *bump* this one up for any new gals around here - we'd LOVE to hear from you - so don't lurk, just say "howdy!!!"

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  10:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, June Bug chiming in today. I wanted to share a fun story with you all about my 3 year old son and it finally feeling like spring! We had a picnic yesterday since the weather was absolutely perfect so we spread out our blanket and I told him I would be right back with our food. He replied " Mama, I'm gonna make a sign really quick that says LADYBUGS WELCOME!" He is so sweet. Any advise on raising BOYS?
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  9:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there, June Bug! Glad to have ya' around!!!

Oooohhhh, I love the "LADYBUGS WELCOME!" It's SO like a little boy - June Bug - I've got two of them - one almost 5 and one almost 2. They're my only little ones, but all I can say after a day of running after them both is that mine would have LOVED a picnic today - what a great idea! I think we'll have one tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be really nice again, and it just sounds like so much fun!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too cute! He sure knows a "good" bug, doesn't he? My little man will be 2 in July, and he loves animals of all kinds. He even squeals & coos at pictures of dinosaurs in his sisters' books.

Glad to meet you, Traci Junebug!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this forum. I haven't been able to go camping much these past few years but I am going to make a hard effort to this year. I am also going to be making a hard effort to spend more time outside with Baby as she is running around like crazy and she adores the outside. Lately she has been having trouble falling asleep for her nap and bed time so I am hoping more outside time will help cure that problem.

Traci- Your son sounds like an absolute gem with a heart of gold! It sounds like you are doing a great job already!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elizaray! I love this forum too. I remember my little one going through all sorts of weird phases with not wanting to sleep so hang in there! Outside time is definately a good way to wear them out. Can't wait to hear all about your new home!Traci
Go to Top of Page

Ladytrapper
outbound

32 Posts

Juanita
Nova Scotia
Canada
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  05:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ladytrapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings from Nova Scotia !!!
Many thanks for this wonderful forum...it's just what I have been looking for...its good to be here in the "out there"
I am a 38 year old mom of 4 busy children! A couple of teenagers ( 14 & 15), a 10 year old and a 5 year old. We are an outdoor family. I am a hunter, trapper/furharvester, and have just become a licensed registered guide for our province. We go camping as much as time and work permits and spend most of our leisure time in the woods year round. Luckily our workplace IS the woods early fall, when we both take leave of our realllll jobs to guide (and cook for) sports from all over the world.
Look so forward to meeting you all.
~LadyTrapper (Juanita)

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Edited by - Ladytrapper on Jul 08 2008 05:47:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Juanita! You certainly sound like you really belong here. Happy to here there are people like you out there. Sounds like a wonderul life. I sure many people wish they had jobs like yours. I sure you will have lots to give and share with our forum. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to meet you Juanita! I have a feeling you have some pretty cool stories to share! Welcome! Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Juanita - so glad you found us!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Juanita!! It will be fun to get to know you!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kuiu Kate
outbound

16 Posts

Bull Frog's Garden Headwater's Camp
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello the fire!
Just moseyed over from my neck of the woods and thought I’d say hey.
I’m Kate, 52 this year, sharing the same birthday as Emil I heard.
I was born a farmgirl in Pennsylvania and over the years I’ve been a rower, telephone operator, blackjack dealer, crosscut saw and axe throwing competitor, vet tech, waitress, endurance rider, groom, hot walker, dog handler, ski lift operator, landscape laborer, Christmas tree shagger, groundwoman for tree climbers, wood splitter, ranch hand, gardener, EMT, SAR, first aid and CPR instructor, and currently am payin' the bills as a small town postmaster. I was the first woman a few of those outfits hired and am proud they were pleased enough with my work that they hired other gals after me. I’m married to an Army veteran and logger from SE Alaska. He accepts my hermitess ways and dines and dances with me by candlelight, although I do think he’s still in withdrawal from no TV. (I haven’t had one since 1973) I’ve got dogs, horses and a donkey, chickens, bees, a couple steer and a veggie garden (organic of course) and split firewood for myself now instead of for wages. I recently found out that when we first got together my Mr. bet a number of his friends in town that I could out split them and made winnings off me from them all. I demanded my cut! I wondered why we had so much help making firewood that year! For the last 25 years I’ve been blessed to be the caretaker on a 5800 acre ranch off the grid in the north coast mountains of Cali. The ranch is bordered by a larger ranch and miles and miles of timber lands. This wild mountain country is my stompin’ grounds and nourishes my soul.

I just found MaryJanesFarm & Outpost.
At work we share magazines with each other and the community. I had just returned to the office after taking off a few days to help the Mr. cut a firebreak around the ranch house, (we’re in the middle of 4 wildfires (among the thousand plus) that were started on the summer solstice by lightening strikes and we have been on stand-by to evacuate since the fires began) and found on my desk a copy of MaryJanesFarm, the She’s a Keeper issue. I liked the looks of the cover, and with the words “farm”, “organic”, “outpost” and “she’s a keeper” I figured it was right up my alley. That evening, as soon as the garden and animal chores and supper were done, and hot bread and a big pot full of stew taken up to the firefighters, I grabbed my headlamp, put my tired tootsies up and started reading. Cover to cover in one sitting! Well, boy howdy, she’s a keeper fer sure! I’ll be darned if for the first time in over 3 weeks, I forgot about my smoke burned self and all the craziness of livin’ in the path of 4 wildfires. Dumb struck I’d never seen the magazine before but guess that’s what happens when ya shun goin’ to the big city for years on end. It felt like I’d found kindred spirits, and I was amazed. I didn’t think there were so many like minded gals out there. Folks always made me feel like I was an anomaly. Not that I cared about being different, I’ve always followed my heart, but it’s sweet to learn there be other gals of similar thinkin’. I’m mighty glad to make your acquaintances!

Edit to add:
I just received notice that we have been removed from the evacuation warning list! Yay! All but one of the fires (the closest) are considered contained and they are hoping to have that one contained today or tommorrow. Control on all of them is hoped for by early August.

Out there Farmgirl Sister
"May I live simply, so that others may simply live" ~Gandhi

Edited by - Kuiu Kate on Jul 17 2008 1:27:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  3:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Kate. From what I read you certainly belong here! Hope the fires stay away. We moved to the West four years ago and have certainly come to respect fire. Luckily when we moved here the previous owners "firewised" our property. Good thing since Jim really hates to cut down trees: ) We just got back from a camping and found out while there that the big wind that had come through knocking two HUGE trees down in the two campsites next to us had started wildfires along the Kettle River about 10 miles south of where we were camping. On the way home our usual beutiful drive was covered in thick smoke and smoulder piles of debris burning on both sides of the highway! We also didn't know that they had closed the highway overnight.JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, this is a good place. I'm hoping to find more to satisfy the wild outdoorsy side of me over here. Our acreage/farm is a bit like me, about half cultivated, and half gone to wildflowers and who-knows-what. :) I like that one side of it borders a trail that crosses west to east pretty much the whole state (used to be a railroad), so wandering is easy access! Looking forward to gettng to know you and learn what you enjoy out there!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  4:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michelle, An excellent huckleberry winemaker is always welcome at the campfire. Are the huckleberries ripe yet in your area? JoAnn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Welcome: Previous Topic Kick off your boots and come on in... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000