Page: of 4

LunaTheFarmLady
outthinking

7 Posts

Luna
Rineyville Kentucky
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LunaTheFarmLady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Michelle.

Luna

http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/

whereever you go, there you are...
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Luna! Thanks for sharing a bit of your wild life with us. No matter where we are or what we've experienced, we all have that spiritual link in common. Welcome!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you the funny Luna from the other site that's full of spunk? jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
outthinking

7 Posts

Luna
Rineyville Kentucky
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit LunaTheFarmLady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo!

I guess I'm guilty! That's me or this is me, here now and there too!

Luna

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat website, Luna!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luna- I love your website! What a creative site!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
outthinking

7 Posts

Luna
Rineyville Kentucky
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LunaTheFarmLady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind words Jen and Elizaray....Jen I love your blog too. I'm going to try those marshmallows soon. They look scrumptiouse...

Luna

Edited by - LunaTheFarmLady on Aug 24 2008 9:37:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband made some homemade marshmallows. They are amazing! I can't wait to try them with our Chill-Over powder!!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
outbound

15 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  03:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thistle Cove Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning - not my first day but first time I may actually figure out how to post. I thought I'd introduced myself before but am not seeing my intro; SO low tech but I'm a dab hand on the farm -smile-.
Sandra, here, in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains of southwest VA on Thistle Cove Farm. It's So Very Nice to find a community of women who are of similar minds. We live in a very remote area and I don't see women until I either go to quilting bee on Thursday nights or church on Sundays. I raise rare breed and primitive Shetland and other sheep along with rare breed, hypoallergenic American Curly horses.
I'm in a hurry to join the Sisterhood, does Mary Jane take PayPal? I'd rather not use a charge card.
Good news reading folks are well from fires, Kate, and ice storms, Jen. Isn't it good to, safely, see how strong we are when the need arises?

Sandra

Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed, Sandra! Let me check on the paypal question...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  10:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Outpost, Sandra!
Go to Top of Page

ArtistForGod
outthinking

1 Posts

Carole
Colbert WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtistForGod's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen and everyone else,
I'm a country woman by heart, and by God's grace, get to live the country life. My husband and I have 20 acres in Eastern Washington where we have a variety of laying hens, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats (one doe had triplets 11 days ago and the other is due any minute!), cats and one Rottweiler. We are planning to have our own 'homegrown' milk and dairy products since the 'industry milk' is not what it used to be. I am a retired RN but now putting in more time into my painting. I always have a variety of fine art and prints for sale and have a website. I'm anxious to add some new little "kids" to my painting subjects.
It's always fun to get to know other women with the same interest and share knowledge. Thank you for running this forum.
Carole

Only by His grace.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  2:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Carole! It's wonderful to have another "outpost" artist among us. We'd love to see your work. Will you share your website with us when you get a chance?

Jen

Go to Top of Page

katmom
outbound

12 Posts

Grace
Spokane WA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit katmom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey Carole,
No "kidding", triplets? lol! I couldn't resist the "kid" pun...
I so agree with you regarding the "milk industry"....and to add horrors to horrors,,,,I heard today that some cities across the US are having horrible issues with the water systems being tainted with "drug waste"...scary!
>^..^<

I'm a Gardener in need of a Dirt Manicure!
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Carole!

Grace- Isn't it scary when we can't even trust good old "clean" water anymore?! Things like this make me want to move far up in the mountains and plant trees across the road!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Carole!

Yes Grace! I have been hearing this for years! Check out this article from just a couple days ago!

Download full size image Drug-Makers Leaking Pharmaceuticals Into Water Supply
Posted on: Monday, 20 April 2009, 06:20 CDT

Government scientists say that they have detected significantly elevated levels of pharmaceutical residues in the water downstream from treatment facilities in charge of disposing waste from drug manufacturers.

Preliminary results from two important federal studies compared the wastewater flowing from sewage plants that handle waste from drug companies and compared them with others that do not. The studies examined only a handful of the 1,886 U.S. drug manufacturing plants recorded by the 2006 Census report.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey’s report, some of the samples contained a range of pharmaceuticals, from over-the-counter medications to opiates, barbiturates and tranquilizers; some of them at significantly higher concentrations than what were found at other plants.

At one location, the muscle relaxer metaxalone was found in treated waste-water at a concentration several hundred times higher than the concentration used by drug regulators to examine a drug’s impact on the environment.

Because of privacy agreements, the specific treatment facilities were not listed by name.

Herb Buxton, a researcher with the USGS and co-chair of the federal task force on pharmaceuticals and the environment, spoke of the significance of double-checking the environmental safety claims of drug companies.

“It’s critical that those types of assumptions are confirmed through real testing,” said Buxton.

In a study conducted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of a municipal wastewater treatment facility in Kalamazoo, Mich., the city’s public service director provided evidence that showed elevated levels of the antibiotic lincomycin entering the plant. The facility services a large production factory for the pharmaceutical company Pfizer Inc., which was producing the antibiotic around the time of the tests.

“There’s some product going down the drain,” explained Merchant plainly.

While the vast majority of the lincomycin was properly removed from the water during treatment, traces of it did remain. A separate 2008 study showed that the antibiotic can combine with small concentrations of other drugs to stimulate the production of cancer cells in both humans and fish.

Other experiments have showed that lincomycin can cause genetic mutations in fish, bacteria, algae and other aquatic microbes common to streams and rivers.

Francesco Pomati, a biologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, has expressed extreme concern about the levels of these drugs found in drinking water. He and his colleagues at the university have cautioned that repeated exposure to this cocktail of drugs – even in minute quantities – could be “a potential hazard for particular human conditions, such as pregnancy or infancy.”

Pfizer spokesman Rick Chambers has assured that “compliance with all environmental, health and safety laws is imperative to our business operations worldwide.”

The two U.S. studies added to a slew of similar research projects carried out in Asia and Europe recently that have connected pharmaceutical production facilities to dangerous levels of drugs in water supplies. Other drugs detected include the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole, the pain reliever diclofenac, the anticonvulsant carbamazepine, as well as a range of milder medications like aspirin, antihistamines and female sex hormones.

Recent studies in India have shown that a waste water plant that services dozens of multinational drug companies had been releasing as much as 100 pounds of the antibiotic ciproflacin a day into local rivers through supposedly treated water.

A Swiss study paid for by the pharmaceutical giant Roche found that some 0.2 percent of its active ingredients managed to escape during the production process. Such a small number may not sound like much until it is multiplied by the thousands of drug production plants around the world, many of which likely have a much higher loss rate than that reported by Roche.

This has many experts in the U.S. questioning their own production standards.

“Is it as bad in the U.S. as it is in India? Probably not. But it does make me think we should test,” says former EPA enforcement officer Kyla Bennett, who is now pursuing a career as an ecologist and environmental attorney.

---
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1673139/drugmakers_leaking_pharmaceuticals_into_water_supply/index.html

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Welcome: Previous Topic Kick off your boots and come on in... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000